Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,604   Online: 1030

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard nothing, but I would not be surprised if the film unit were to perform a buyout from the rest of Kodak. I suppose it is possible. Not very probable though.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds too much like AGFAPhoto coming from AGFA parent company. Unfortunately the principals in charge hindered the potential of AGFAPhoto nearly from the start.

The reason I don't imagine it happening is that coating facilities can be repurposed to uses other than making film. With Kodak entering the commercial printing and graphic arts markets in a big way, it is not too much of a stretch to see them entering the paper market. Perhaps they might challenge International Paper in the future.

Other technology includes LCD display manufacturing materials, and substrate for OLED displays. Fujifilm are also involved in these markets. The demand for OLED displays is predicted to grow exponentially in the next three years (Gartner Group, TrendWatch, et al).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak just shut down its paper mill. It no longer produces paper anywhere.

Kodak is one of the largest producers of OLEDs and the organic chemicals used in them.

PE

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Kodak is one of the largest producers of OLEDs and the organic chemicals used in them.

PE
    Ron are other producers reliant on these organic chemicals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has several 'deals' with companies here in the US and in Japan for making OLED screens as well as their own facilities.

So, AFAIK, there are quite a few people using Kodak OLED chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Color transparency will probably be the first color film to bite the dust. Sales are falling fast.

PE
    Since people occasionally cross-process negatives as slides with moderately functional results, could a person use E-6 chemicals and tweak the process to get better slides using negative film? I realize there is a mask but with that new maskless film for scanning it seems that it would be possible.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
    Since people occasionally cross-process negatives as slides with moderately functional results, could a person use E-6 chemicals and tweak the process to get better slides using negative film? I realize there is a mask but with that new maskless film for scanning it seems that it would be possible.
    The new maskless film for scanning actually is (AFAIK) more related to color slide film than it is to color neg film. It might work quite well in E-6.

Shooter
    Multi Format

PE
    So who is making the Encad inkjet papers, and other Kodak (branded) papers for graphic arts usage? I hope you didn't think I meant photographic (chemical) papers.

Anyway, my point is that coating facilities can be used for other purposes, such as OLED materials. Maybe they won't produce photographic films out of the coating facilities, and simply convert the facilities for other products. Paper is only one such product, though not necessarily the best, nor only choice; merely a suggestion I throw into this wild speculation about Kodak.
    :rolleyes:

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gordon;

There is a difference between making the paper itself and coating on it. Kodak did both at one time. Now, all paper is purchased uncoated from Schoeller in Germany. This was posted here and elsewhere nearly 2 years ago.

OLEDs are not coated in the same way as film or paper.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold View Post
    Well, to inject a note of pointless optimism, years ago I worked for Allied-Signal. They had some underperforming units which they spun off as the "Henley Group". Once free of Allied-Signal's sociopathic management, they did quite well, some of them actually becoming stronger (Fisher Scientific coming to mind).

Maybe a spun-off film unit can do the same, without having the challenge of meeting the required numbers for the behemoth that is Kodak. This of course is just whistling in the dark, but we can dream. Pity nobody managed to save Agfapan 100 when they could, so I wish Kodak's film division, even with a reduced portfolio, the best of luck and skill
    I think a spin-off can indeed do much better. I used to work at Motorola. Their semiconductor division "underperformed" for years until they were finally spun off as Freescale (in 2002 I think). Over the next 4 years, Freescale doubled in value until they were recently purchased by a defense conglomorate.

Also its interesting that Wall Street demanded Motorola get rid of semiconductor and that their CEO at the time was arguably forced out because he balked.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin