Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1019

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Gordon;

There is a difference between making the paper itself and coating on it. Kodak did both at one time. Now, all paper is purchased uncoated from Schoeller in Germany. This was posted here and elsewhere nearly 2 years ago.

OLEDs are not coated in the same way as film or paper.

PE
    Well, I have been here less than one year, and there have been over 350K messages, so I probably missed that posting. Maybe asking a question would be simpler: can coating lines now used for film producation be re-purposed to other coating uses? If no, why not? If yes, then what incentive would Kodak have to sell off the coating lines, instead of re-purposing them?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, they cannot. As I posted above, OLEDS are coated by a different process.

Some digital materials can be coated by film or paper coaters.

Film coaters are designed to coat water based materials. They cannot coat using organic solvents. This simple problem causes all kinds of problems when trying to convert over from one to the other.

Organic solvent based materials take considerably different methodology than water based materials, which includes proper removal of solvent by scrubbing the air. Some cannot even be coated, they must be cast.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for answering. So the definitive answer is that coating lines now used for film production cannot be re-purposed for any other uses.

I know that many paper products use water based materials as part of the coating process. This is why I asked the question. I did not want to suggest that Kodak could convert everything to OLED production, since I know that is different.

Anyway, this entire thread is speculation. None of us can predict the future.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin