Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,611   Online: 932

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, to inject a note of pointless optimism, years ago I worked for Allied-Signal. They had some underperforming units which they spun off as the "Henley Group". Once free of Allied-Signal's sociopathic management, they did quite well, some of them actually becoming stronger (Fisher Scientific coming to mind).

Maybe a spun-off film unit can do the same, without having the challenge of meeting the required numbers for the behemoth that is Kodak. This of course is just whistling in the dark, but we can dream. Pity nobody managed to save Agfapan 100 when they could, so I wish Kodak's film division, even with a reduced portfolio, the best of luck and skill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    While you guys pretty much talk about black and white film, actually that is the least endangered species of photo materials. The real critical thing here is the production of transparecy film. I use a lot of it in my studio. I have more and more limited choices all the time. Now just 2 manufacturers of sheet film transparency film. I worry. I don't worry about b/w. yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The small producers of b/w film absolutely cannot make color transparency film. as far as I know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color transparency will probably be the first color film to bite the dust. Sales are falling fast.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Color transparency will probably be the first color film to bite the dust. Sales are falling fast.

PE
    The local drug stores still carry (on and off) TMAX 400, but have stopped selling all slide films, I have not seen any in perhaps a year, I think that at least one Supermarket Chain still carries an E6. I am not sure if Walmart still sells a slide film. I stopped shooting E6 when both Fuji and Kodak stopped producing direct positive paper.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I wonder why. I understand that professional studios have switched from LF and MF transparency to digital, but they did that in the past, not now, and the rest of the market (amateurs, enthusiasts, artists etc.) should be relatively stable. Or is it because projection of digital images at 1 Megapixel resolution is good enough for people?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, people seem to prefer to project the 1 Mpix image on a projector that costs a couple of thousand dollars than to project a higher quality 35mm slide on a projector that costs a couple of hundred dollars.

Okay, I can see the attraction of PowerPoint when you're doing something that might otherwise require a multi-projector setup or when you want to mix media, but just for a straight slide show I'll take slides any day.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there no linkage between Kodak's commitment to motion picture film and the production of still, transparency films?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Is there no linkage between Kodak's commitment to motion picture film and the production of still, transparency films?
    Digital photography has affected reversal film sales more than negative film sales. This trend started though before digital, as customers more and more wanted high quality prints.

Virtually all motion picture film is color negative. The two films, negative and reversal, take entirely different emulsions and couplers, not to mention their processes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, duh. Sorry...I knew that films are shot on negative film...brain fart.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin