Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,843   Online: 959
      
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    895

    Kodak hints at sale of film unit...

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...yhoo&dist=yhoo

    No big surprise, I expect. Many of us implicitly assumed this was possible but I believe this is the first public acknowledgement of the possibility by a company officer. I suspect their prognosis for finding a buyer would be much better than Agfa's attempt to find one several years back for their film unit. So even if this does come to pass - it may not mean the end of Kodak films. At least, not in the near-term.

    Obviously, nothing has happened yet and we will need to wait and see.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    299
    Not to mention that film production is a cash cow with all the physical facilities long since amortized ....

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Italia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,680
    Lots of money sloshing around. If the film division is generating positive cash some body will buy it. The question is how sharp will their knives be when it comes to making it even leaner then it is now?

  4. #4
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Oh no! Here we go again.

    Can't we just keep the same thread as a "sticky" and just change the title every few days?

    All the same old, same old posters (like me) will not engage in the same old, same old discussion/debate etc.

    And all Perez said was something that everyone else has been saying for years. Will, should, could Kodak sell the film division?

    And, BTW, did he say it as part of his presentation - or was it as an answer to an analyst's question?

    The "Street" has been predicting the run down of the film division for years now. So if it was a response to a query - it might be nothing more that a sop to a pesky analyst!

    K's problem is that selling the film division means selling a core business. That is a decision not taken lightly since if they miscalculate - they could sink the firm.

    We'll see - meanwhile let the "usual posts" begin!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Oh no! Here we go again.

    Can't we just keep the same thread as a "sticky" and just change the title every few days?

    All the same old, same old posters (like me) will not engage in the same old, same old discussion/debate etc.

    And all Perez said was something that everyone else has been saying for years. Will, should, could Kodak sell the film division?

    And, BTW, did he say it as part of his presentation - or was it as an answer to an analyst's question?

    The "Street" has been predicting the run down of the film division for years now. So if it was a response to a query - it might be nothing more that a sop to a pesky analyst!

    K's problem is that selling the film division means selling a core business. That is a decision not taken lightly since if they miscalculate - they could sink the firm.

    We'll see - meanwhile let the "usual posts" begin!
    I've no bone to pick to Kodak, actually (I use plenty of Tri-X and the odd roll of E100G). It is, however, notable in that this is the first time that somebody posed the question to a CEO of Kodak on an earnings call.

    And the answer is "possibly, maybe". Yes, it's not a decision to take lightly but there is no denying that, short-term balance sheet considerations aside, film isn't the strategic focus of Kodak long-term. I don't think it's a "sop" either - C-level excecutives have to be really careful about managing expectations and a perspective sale of the film unit will likely set their hearts aflutter...

    Also, it's possible a private equity buyout of Kodak's film unit would be the optimal outcome for APUGers. It may even help keep jobs in Rochester. Who knows?

    This isn't something to be taken as a "the sky is falling" post, nor is it intended to turn sentiment against Kodak, but I believe it is of relevance to the forum.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, MA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Not to mention that film production is a cash cow with all the physical facilities long since amortized ....
    Not a cash cow, exactly, but the depreciation does go back on the cash flow and that helps Kodak borrow money when needed.

    The unit is operationally-profitable but the restructuring charges really do wipe out much of the bottom line benefit. Much of the largest restructuring efforts are already complete, thankfully. I think about 23,500 of the planned 27,000 layoffs are already over.

    That it is operationally-profitable is a radically different situation than was the case at Agfa's film unit. Agfa never managed to sell of their film unit (AgfaPhoto was really a management buyout) but I think EK probably could do so.

  7. #7
    Curt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,543
    Images
    15
    I feel sorry for the b******s over at Kodak, they don't know whether to s**t or get off the pot.

    Poor leadership from a poor company.


    It doesn't bother me, I went out and shot four rolls of Ilford Pan F 120. I really like it now that I am using it enough to see what it will do. In the mean time I made base plate for for one of 8x10 cameras and fixed a broken knob on a ball head. Stripped out at the end of shooting today. Never expected it. At least it was not a d****l camera part that is not fixable! I get some enjoyment out of drilling and tapping, cutting and buffing. They built it to last and it can be fixed. Something to think about in my building of the next camera when the weather warms up.

    Love that Ilford film!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I've no bone to pick to Kodak, actually (I use plenty of Tri-X and the odd roll of E100G). It is, however, notable in that this is the first time that somebody posed the question to a CEO of Kodak on an earnings call.
    What sort of answer would you expect? If any company were asked, in a similar manner, if you had a division that was no longer profitable, might that division be sold. Now what other answer would you expect?

    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    And the answer is "possibly, maybe". Yes, it's not a decision to take lightly but there is no denying that, short-term balance sheet considerations aside, film isn't the strategic focus of Kodak long-term. I don't think it's a "sop" either - C-level excecutives have to be really careful about managing expectations and a perspective sale of the film unit will likely set their hearts aflutter...
    Do you have some stake in the stock market, EK or otherwise? It sure seems that you are posting due to some vested interest. Care to disclose anything?

    Do you actually read the SEC reports for EK, or only the summary from some news item? If you understood the cause of losses, and sources of profits, your postings would be substantially more well informed.

    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Also, it's possible a private equity buyout of Kodak's film unit would be the optimal outcome for APUGers. It may even help keep jobs in Rochester. Who knows?

    This isn't something to be taken as a "the sky is falling" post, nor is it intended to turn sentiment against Kodak, but I believe it is of relevance to the forum.
    In my opinion it has almost no relevance, other than to potentially cause some sort of panic, or possibly to influence share prices in EK or competitors. Speculation is best left to a stock market forum, not APUG. I think this thread should be shut down before it gets too ridiculous.

    Ciao!

    Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

  9. #9
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    What sort of answer would you expect? If any company were asked, in a similar manner, if you had a division that was no longer profitable, might that division be sold. Now what other answer would you expect?



    Do you have some stake in the stock market, EK or otherwise? It sure seems that you are posting due to some vested interest. Care to disclose anything?

    Do you actually read the SEC reports for EK, or only the summary from some news item? If you understood the cause of losses, and sources of profits, your postings would be substantially more well informed.



    In my opinion it has almost no relevance, other than to potentially cause some sort of panic, or possibly to influence share prices in EK or competitors. Speculation is best left to a stock market forum, not APUG. I think this thread should be shut down before it gets too ridiculous.

    Ciao!

    Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Gordon,

    Thanks for this post.

    I don't know for sure, but every once in a while aldevo appears with another K is dead, or dying or, maybe just sick or whatever post.

    And on and on and on.

    Like the proverbial guy who comes to the party just to throw a dirty sock in the punch bowl!

    It's unfair, here you know. If you try to shut off every thread that mentions Kodak you will miss some great news like where to get free film.

    But if you keep looking, you get these kinds of threads. The doomsters, sometimes motivated by either a personal death wish or hysteria will ruin your day.

    Then again, you have to wonder if some of these posters are digi-plants who come on here just to spread "bad news about film" stuff.

    Has anyone here ever seen aldevo post to a thread that didn't deal with either negative news about Kodak and film (specifically) or "the death of film" generally?

  10. #10
    gr82bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,224
    Images
    37
    I concur George. There are some posters who are just so predictable.

    Not to mention the ones that think they can run a multi-national better than everyone else. Makes you wonder what they're doing in the middle of the dessert trying to fix their beat up old camera on a dime. Spare us the ego.

    Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin