Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So nobody is going to scream despair at the potential sale/spin of the film unit, now that it's in the papers? Good. Keep breathing quietly, guys. No need to get angry.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Low cost ink would tend to mean expensive printers. The model up to now has been give away the printer and make your money on ink.
    Well, one would think that, but the initial models talked about range from about $150 to about $300, and that $300 one is an all-in-one, fax, copy, print type of thingy.

With cheap printers and expensive ink cartridges has anybody ever done a study on what the long term environmental effects are? I personally think the effects will be worse than film. We can reclaim a lot of the film, what are we going to do with all these outdated desktops and printers. I know the transfer station I use for garbage (and I live in a extremly small town <3k) is loaded with computer garbage. They never had a dumpster full of cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rtuttle View Post
    With cheap printers and expensive ink cartridges has anybody ever done a study on what the long term environmental effects are? I personally think the effects will be worse than film. We can reclaim a lot of the film, what are we going to do with all these outdated desktops and printers. I know the transfer station I use for garbage (and I live in a extremly small town <3k) is loaded with computer garbage. They never had a dumpster full of cameras.
    I wonder how many people toss out computers with the hard drives still on them?

I wonder how much private info is contained on those hard drives?

Remember, no matter how you discard the old 'puter - make sure to remove the HD and effectively destroy it before doing so. Just erasing it clean will not keep "bad guys" from getting to your personal data.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I wonder how many people toss out computers with the hard drives still on them?

I wonder how much private info is contained on those hard drives?

Remember, no matter how you discard the old 'puter - make sure to remove the HD and effectively destroy it before doing so. Just erasing it clean will not keep "bad guys" from getting to your personal data.
    You can erase a hardrive without destroying it (say you were selling it, or donating it). No software or computer erasure program can do it, however you can utterly obliterate any information or echos of information by erasing the drive with a magnetic bulk eraser, such as TV stations used to erase 1" and 2" reel to reel video tapes.

EDIT-I have only used it on disposing of drives, now that I think of it, I wonder of the delicate parts of the mechanism would survive the magnetic field. It may be just a good way to destroy a drive

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IBM has told Kodak that they can read original data up to 16 layers deep on hard drives even after thorough erasure.

Kodak implemented a policy of observed crushing of hard disk drives. Even if the drive is under warranty, if it is crushed and returned to the mfgr, the contract says that the warranty will be honored and the drive replaced.

Just FYI. Kodak takes security seriously and destroys all HDs.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    You can erase a hardrive without destroying it (say you were selling it, or donating it). No software or computer erasure program can do it, however you can utterly obliterate any information or echos of information by erasing the drive with a magnetic bulk eraser, such as TV stations used to erase 1" and 2" reel to reel video tapes.

A degausser is what you're talking about.

There are software packages that will remove all traces of data from a hard drive as long as it is US Department of Defense 5220.22 M compliant, like KillDisk, for example.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    A degausser is what you're talking about.

There are software packages that will remove all traces of data from a computer as long as it is US Department of Defense 5220.22 M compliant, like KillDisk, for example.
    Yes, they are sometimes called degaussers, although we prefered the term bulk eraser for the erasing unit and degausser CRT zapper.

FWW I wouldn't trust any software, because then I'm trusting a human somewhere. I would trust the total randomization provided by an intensly powerful magnetic field, because I am then trusting nothing but physics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Low cost ink would tend to mean expensive printers. The model up to now has been give away the printer and make your money on ink.
    True, but we've seen the recent appearance of "generic inks" and now "refill stations" where existing ink cartridges can be re-filled at a pharmacy (e.g. "Walgreens" in the USA) for half the cost of new ones. So I'm not sure if the existing model would continue to work long-term.

And, yes, the printers will cost more than equivalent offerings from, say, Lexmark.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    FWW I wouldn't trust any software, because then I'm trusting a human somewhere. I would trust the total randomization provided by an intensly powerful magnetic field, because I am then trusting nothing but physics.
    Agree on this. I'd place my trust in a sledgehammer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin