Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,671   Online: 807

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have also heard that information can be recovered from a hard drive. There are companies that do that in a clean room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If anybody is curious about the inkjet printing market, this is a good article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...7_id.html?.v=1

I think it comes down to this: If the printers produce a reasonably satisfactory finished product - will consumers be willing to pay more up front to save more later.

In the long run, the EK printers sound like a good deal - but do consumers think about the long run?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rtuttle View Post
    I have also heard that information can be recovered from a hard drive. There are companies that do that in a clean room.
    Yes, there are plenty of outfits that advertise ISO 9001:2000 clean rooms for data recovery. None guarantee results...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...00688a80673608

Kodak Press Release about film.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    True, but we've seen the recent appearance of "generic inks" and now "refill stations" where existing ink cartridges can be re-filled at a pharmacy (e.g. "Walgreens" in the USA) for half the cost of new ones.
    Is this also true with pigment inks?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Is this also true with pigment inks?
    Excellent and relevant question. I believe the Kodak units use these types of inks. Indeed, most high-end printers do because of the archival properties vs. dye inks.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you as far as compatability goes. Allegedly the Walgreens refill stations do a couple of tests to ensure that the refill ink is not incompatible with the cartridge. If the tests fail, then you don't pay for the refill...

Some manufacturers (e.g. HP) now install electronics that effectively "expires" their cartridges after a certain date - meaning, the printer drivers do not allow you to print if the cartridge is more than "x" days past its manufacture.

I don't know if any incompatability with refill stations would help or hurt Kodak.
    Last edited by aldevo; 02-08-2007 at 06:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Kodak wants to price their ink cheap enough to eliminate the desire for purchasing third party inks. The new Kodak printers are not more expensive than other inkjet printers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I think Kodak wants to price their ink cheap enough to eliminate the desire for purchasing third party inks. The new Kodak printers are not more expensive than other inkjet printers.

I would tend to agree about the inks. Regarding printer expense, I've seen a couple of article suggesting the prices are a bit high. Here's one, if you are interested:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070206/kodak_inkjet.html?.v=2

Maybe it's a better mouse trap and maybe it isn't.

Right now, I print on silver gelatin and scan for the monitor - so it isn't my kind of mousetrap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin