Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,343   Online: 1211

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    At the risk of getting off-topic...where did you see the bw photo papers? I searched here but didn't find any...

http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/products_s..._cat/index.jsp

Agfa still manufactures a document film (Copex) which can be made to act (more or less) as a continuous-tone pictorial film with special developers, but I think that's the extent of their involvement in still photography.
    It's all right there under the Aerial products at the link you gave. They make several color negative emulsions for aerial photography, a color transparency film, b/w films and Rapidtone papers. These would currently be long roll products for aerial imaging applications, but of course they could be custom cut.

A better link, with more clearcut product descriptions would be:

Black and White products: http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/solutions/...hite/index.jsp

Color products: http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/solutions/...olor/index.jsp

It is obvious to me that certain NEW consumer films from a company in Germany are based on emulsions outlined in the above two links.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh, now I see. Yes, I think you may be on to something

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the 11:00 news update.

Perez said that film is very profitable and Kodak plans to retain this business and stay in the market as long as it stays that way.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Film and Photofinishing Group earnings from operations were $77 million, compared with $51 million a year ago, on sales of $1.013 billion, which were down 16% from the prior-year quarter. During the fourth quarter of 2006, the group achieved an 8% operating margin, double the rate of the year-ago quarter and in line with company expectations."

from http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...00688a80669169

This is just the Fourth Quarter, and an easier to understand breakdown than some journalists summary interpretation. With traditional products earnings going from $51M to $77M, seems to me that despite decreasing revenues, the numbers got better. Also higher up in that linked Pres Release from Kodak:

"Traditional revenue totaled $1.357 billion, a 15% decline from $1.592 billion in the fourth quarter of 2005."

With that being one fourth (1/4) of their fiscal year, that still means around $4 billion in traditional revenues. Some of that is photofinishing and paper, but that stills sounds like a hell of a lot of film.

Please note: I still think it is better to read through several years of SEC reports, especially the Annual Reports, but those who do not have the time should at least read through the official releases from Kodak. SEC regulations require honesty in reporting, and would heavily fine EK for any false or misleading statements.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Perez, CEO of Kodak
    "Film is going to follow its own destiny," he said. "Right now, entertainment (motion-picture) imaging is very stable, is very good for the company. ... If that goes digital, which eventually I believe it will, then we'll do something else. We will do what's better for the shareholders."
    While I love Kodak, I think their CEO is an idiot.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Originally Posted by Antonio Perez, CEO of Kodak
    "Film is going to follow its own destiny," he said. "Right now, entertainment (motion-picture) imaging is very stable, is very good for the company. ... If that goes digital, which eventually I believe it will, then we'll do something else. We will do what's better for the shareholders."

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    While I love Kodak, I think their CEO is an idiot.

Regards, Art.
    Sorry Art, but if I was a shareholder this is exactly what I would want him to say at the shareholder's meeting!

An idiot would have told the owners to "bug off". And such an idiot would soon be out of a job.

Perez's (and any CEO's) loyalty and fiduciary responsibility is first and foremost to the owners of the Company! What would make you think it would or should be anything else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the morning paper, it was added that Perez commented on not having any plans to sell the film portion of the business. The writer of the article added that the analysts said "who would buy it".

This does not imply that the film unit is bad or the products are bad, but rather that the market, from their perspective is in bad shape.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In the morning paper, it was added that Perez commented on not having any plans to sell the film portion of the business. The writer of the article added that the analysts said "who would buy it".

This does not imply that the film unit is bad or the products are bad, but rather that the market, from their perspective is in bad shape.

PE

What it also means is that Kodak can still run it at a profit because they own it outright. If anyone else were to buy it they would probably need to borrow the purchase money which would then need to be repaid from the profit.

Steve.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin