Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 844

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak shareholders meeting

Kodak held a meeting of shareholders today in NYC. Although they are to report it tomorrow in the paper, the local TV news tonight ended with a short segment on the meeting.

Of main interest was this. Perez said that Kodak would let traditional (analog) photography play out to the end as it made $300 M this last year (Offhand IDK if that was sales or income). Interestingly enough, I remember when color paper alone made $500 M (that was income) in one year. This should give you an idea of how much sales have dropped.

The announcer added that Kodak has kept the lead in motion picture film and it appears that with the slow growth of digital there this news should make Steven Spielberg happy. That was Rich Funke in NYC for the meeting on channel 10 news in Rochester at 6:25 PM, Rochester.

More news after I read the paper tomorrow morning.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have thought that RA-4 paper (Kodak & Fuji) would still be popular as it's used by all the photo labs and on-line printing services.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I'd have thought that RA-4 paper (Kodak & Fuji) would still be popular as it's used by all the photo labs and on-line printing services.
    Yeah, me too. Or does this reflect the phenomenon that people are not printing their digital images any more, but rather just showing off their photos of their grandchildren by scrolling through them on the lcd screen on the back of their camera? Or for that matter... cell phone?
    Gagging....
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    People are printing their digisnaps. Most certainly. Unfortunately for Kodak, Fuji has a tremendous share of the mini-lab business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last I saw on PMAI reports, the kiosks were doing well, though not as much as earlier anticipated. Many of the self serve kiosks use RA-4 technology. One thing that might have hurt Kodak a little in photofinishing was Fujifilm picking up many contracts at Target Stores.

The $300M figure I believe I saw as profits in the consumer imaging division of Kodak, on their last quarterly SEC filing. However, reporting of profits combines consumer digital camera and printer sales with film sales and one-time-use camera sales. If you read the press releases carefully, Kodak indicate that consumer digital just finally managed a 3% profit level in the last few quarters. As far as I know, Nikon is the only other company to report profits directly from digital camera sales.

While a little tougher to decipher, indications at Fuji with their financial reports show traditional films still in the 12% to 18% profit range. This is over the financial statements from 2005 and 2006, mostly based upon quarterly reports. It might be interesting to wonder whether Kodak are more or less profitable from their film production; this might be a factor of their manufacturing efficiency.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The announcer added that Kodak has kept the lead in motion picture film and it appears that with the slow growth of digital there this news should make Steven Spielberg happy.
    PE
    But, with Agfa out of the picture, who else even competes in cine camera raw stock, and release print stocks? Fuji?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/solutions/cine/index.jsp

AGFA still make motion picture films. They never had much of a catalogue of choices, so questionable how much market share they enjoyed. This division, and aerial films, were never a part of the failed AGFAPhoto.

Fuji is indeed still involved in motion picture films. I have no idea on market share with this area, though they have a good selection of films. I have read in a few places that India was a large market for cine films, so perhaps Fuji do well in that region.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has about 80% of the worlds motion picture market.

As for printing on RA paper, the announcer added that Kodak's motto once used to be "you press the button and we do the rest" but with digital it is "you press the button and then you do the rest".

Sounds like he is on our team.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/solutions/cine/index.jsp

AGFA still make motion picture films. They never had much of a catalogue of choices, so questionable how much market share they enjoyed. This division, and aerial films, were never a part of the failed AGFAPhoto.

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    Wow, Agfa in Belgium still has quite a product line, and also offers custom coating solutions. But..they do not offer movie camera film, only color release print stock, and soundtrack stocks.

They even offer several bw photo papers, glossy and matte RC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Wow, Agfa in Belgium still has quite a product line, and also offers custom coating solutions. But..they do not offer movie camera film, only color release print stock, and soundtrack stocks.

They even offer several bw photo papers, glossy and matte RC.
    At the risk of getting off-topic...where did you see the bw photo papers? I searched here but didn't find any...

http://www.agfa.com/en/sp/products_s..._cat/index.jsp

Agfa still manufactures a document film (Copex) which can be made to act (more or less) as a continuous-tone pictorial film with special developers, but I think that's the extent of their involvement in still photography.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin