Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,512   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Always waiting for the other shoe to drop..........

I love going out with my 4x5 camera and taking pictures. I carry my bag, which contains my film holders, light meter, lupe, extra lense, etc. Of course also in tow is my camera and tripod. I drive to my general destination, find a place to park, get all my crap together and just start walking around and looking for a place to set up and take a picture. Just because I stop and set up the camera doesn't even mean I'll slide a filmholder and actually make a picture. I can be one of the most off the wall spazzes in existence, but when I get out to take pictures I become completely focused. I find that using a view camera can require discipline and percision, and for some reason when I am out there using one I can channel both of those faculties. I NEED to be able to go out and use my cameras....... I just do. I LOVE IT! I fucking hate how all the people who feel the same way I do may not be able to enjoy this mental savior of an activity, because of it's reliance on supplies that are so quickly diminishing. I know that I am preaching to the choir and that this little post is a bit sentimental and perhaps tacky. Whatever, I jsut thought I'd write it. It's the truth and it's frustrating. Please someone step forward and commit to making film and paper....... forever or at least a super long time.
    Last edited by Jordan.K; 02-08-2007 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    But tell us what you really think. Grin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Jordke,

I do not remember a more anguished thread....I have to reply....on a human to human level...

I do not know where you come from, I do not know how old you are, I do not know how long you have been carrying that kit around, but I am absolutely sure that when you no longer have the strength in your body to lift the lupe to the glass, some 20 something will be taking out a 5x4 kit 'FOR THE FIRST' time, exposing on film and then processing that film and then printing on film.......and feeling eactly the same way as you do today...photo art will never die.......silver based photography is the ultimate expression of that art, its the ultimate quality and the longest lasting available for the printed photo image, and every one is different, no two silver film images are the same..ever

We have been making photo products since 1879.......and we are every bit as passionate about it today as we were then......my 'educated' guess is that the World of film, paper and chemical manufacturing will continue to go through many, many changes, our company included, but as long as ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology exists, hopefully for a long time after I have gone, and no matter what other products it will be making then, I am sure the first line in our price list will be.. Monochrome Film / Paper & Chemistry...

And do you know what...my guess is that we will not be the only ones....

And I do not think your sentimental...I think your just passionate...and so are we....

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go, Jordke!!! Go, Simon!!! Boy, does this make me want to go shoot somebody!! Um, with a camera, of course...!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Jordke,

I do not remember a more anguished thread....I have to reply....on a human to human level...

I do not know where you come from, I do not know how old you are, I do not know how long you have been carrying that kit around, but I am absolutely sure that when you no longer have the strength in your body to lift the lupe to the glass, some 20 something will be taking out a 5x4 kit 'FOR THE FIRST' time, exposing on film and then processing that film and then printing on film.......and feeling eactly the same way as you do today...photo art will never die.......silver based photography is the ultimate expression of that art, its the ultimate quality and the longest lasting available for the printed photo image, and every one is different, no two silver film images are the same..ever

We have been making photo products since 1879.......and we are every bit as passionate about it today as we were then......my 'educated' guess is that the World of film, paper and chemical manufacturing will continue to go through many, many changes, our company included, but as long as ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology exists, hopefully for a long time after I have gone, and no matter what other products it will be making then, I am sure the first line in our price list will be.. Monochrome Film / Paper & Chemistry...

And do you know what...my guess is that we will not be the only ones....

And I do not think your sentimental...I think your just passionate...and so are we....

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

AMEN to that! Thanks, Simon!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well that ices it - guess I'll just have to shoot a roll of HP5+ this weekend!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just loaded up eight sheets of FP4+ and plan to shoot them this weekend as a thank you to Simon.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Music to my ears! I get all warm and gushy reading this!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Now it's time to bring out the violins, i'm all emotional

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it's been raining here for the last two days, and it will rain for the next week because in California, it never rains until it rains endlessly for at least a month!

But even if I have to shoot it indoors, I'll shoot some FP4+ this weekend (in 35 amd 120) in celebration of Simon's post!

Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin