Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,573   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Coating plant for hire!!

It seems that the Agfa/Gaevart plant in Belgium offers custom coating facilities. This would be in addition to the huge variety of films (color & b/w) and papers they coat under their own brands. See my posts under the Another Agfa rumor heading.

anyway, here is the data from their web site:

Agfa offers its chemical and coating expertise on a custom-manufacturing base.

Pilot coaters
    coating on a short loop with small amounts of coating solution and base (web width 24 cm) and with controlled drying conditions
    coating on a continuous base for larger amounts of prototype material under controlled drying conditions

Production installations - watch movie * (4.2 MB)
    multilayer cascade and curtain coating with precision coating heads
    single or double coating on web in a single pass
    front side + back side coating in a single pass
    variable coating width
    aqueous and solvent coatings (possible in tandem)
    gravure coating, multiple coating stations in register, solvent based coatings
    solvent coating with multiple coatings in one pass
    coatings on glass
    in line corona treatment
    production web widths up to 1.75m
    multiple drying sections, individually temperature and humidity controlled
    inert gas drying
    dust class: 1.000 a 10.000
    coating in dark room conditions
    quality control by inline inspection system
    production facilities with filtered air at positive pressure

Mix capabilities
    mix capabilities on site
    computer controlled mix preparation
    different sizes of stainless steel vessels
    controlled active degassing
    in line filtration
    multiple in line injections

Converting, slitting
    can be offered at the same site
    different light conditions, a.o. dark room conditions

Quality management certifications
    ISO 9001: 2000
    ISO 14001: 2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, yeah, but...I suspect there are a couple of problems here:

1) I have no idea as to whether you could coat photographic emulsions using this equipment (I'll defer to others here, such as PhotoEngineer)
    2) Custom=Expensive (No need for me to defer here - I'm on pretty secure ground with this one). I suspect this would be the sort of operation that would require a considerable cash advance.

I'd hate to have to front Agfa, say, 1 million EUR and then have to charge $20 USD for every roll of 120

FujiFilm also does this sort of thing. If EK does it, I've yet to learn of it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oh, the AgfaGevart coating lines are absolutely for light-sensitive film products, as they make dozens of them at this facility. B/W, Color, and Photo Papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you'll find that Ilford would offer custom coating facilities at Mobberley if you asked them. After all they do manufacture materials for a large Japanese photographic company.

Perhaps I should add that Ilford used to have something on their website stating that they were looking for other possible avenues to utilise their coating technologies.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-10-2007 at 05:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional information

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meaning a certain range of "Neo" films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid also offers custom coating. See their web site.

None of this is cheap and you have to come to them with a coatable material. If you don't have the emulsion and they make it, if it does not work, tough. R&D is extra.

In other words, you have to do all of the R&D yourself, and you have to do pilot runs somehow to learn how to scale things up. Or, you pay to have them do it for you.

It will work and work well, but in the end it ain't cheap and it ain't quick.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Meaning a certain range of "Neo" films?
    I would think it would be more like a certain line of Orientalish papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PHOTONE you think wrong :-)

In the BJP a few years ago there was mention of a co-operative agreement between Ilford and Fuji, regarding B&W films, this was also published in the financial & business sections of various UK newspapers as well.

Yes I have also heard that Oriental papers may be being sourced from the Uk, but the rumour seemed to indicate it came from our second paper manufacturer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Polaroid also offers custom coating. See their web site.

None of this is cheap and you have to come to them with a coatable material. If you don't have the emulsion and they make it, if it does not work, tough. R&D is extra.

In other words, you have to do all of the R&D yourself, and you have to do pilot runs somehow to learn how to scale things up. Or, you pay to have them do it for you.

It will work and work well, but in the end it ain't cheap and it ain't quick.

PE
    Interesting...

When Mirko Boddecker of Fotoimpex has discussed the possible resumption of APX emulsion production using AgfaPhoto's research "kettle", many asked how he would coat it onto film

I don't know how emulsion "travels" (i.e. if it could be transported from one site to another), but is this approach a possibility?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    PHOTONE you think wrong :-)

In the BJP a few years ago there was mention of a co-operative agreement between Ilford and Fuji, regarding B&W films, this was also published in the financial & business sections of various UK newspapers as well.

Yes I have also heard that Oriental papers may be being sourced from the Uk, but the rumour seemed to indicate it came from our second paper manufacturer.

Ian
    I believe this had to do with a short-lived C-41 film that Fuji offered which was based on XP2 Super.

Rumors abound that the present Oriental papers are nothing more than re-labeled Ilford Multigrade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin