Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,485   Online: 925

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i do both, buy supplies locally and from out of town as well.
    Have not had issues with either method.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my town (pop 43,000) it is impossible to buy anything film related, with the exception of 35m consumer film. Fortunately, my work takes me to Winnipeg regularly (2.5 hours by car), and I can get everything I need there (120 film, chemicals, paper etc).
    I also do a lot of business online and have had no problems with shipping etc.
    There is a core of 8-10 people in my community who are avid film shooters. The local camera club is all digital and mostly made up of gizmo chasers who recycle vast amounts of plastic each year searching for the next magic bullet. Personally I don't have a problem with digital images, and use a digigizmo myself on occasion. Just don't call the product a "photograph"
    I have a penchant for buying older rangefinders, tlr's and Polaroids, and am currently looking for a 6x9 folder. As someone on APUG says regularly, "I just like film best".

J
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Like David G., I live on that Island with the silver streets. But even so, as often as not, I now mail order film.

That's mainly because I'm usually stuck at work during the day and cannot get to the local shops and on weekends I'm up in the country. So internet mail order has become a great way to do 24/7 shopping.* And usually the shipping cost is no greater than the sales tax I avoid by ordering from an out-of-state retailer.

I hope I can always walk to a film retailer - but if not - I'm prepared.

*It helps living in a Manhattan high-rise with a package delivery room so I don't have to be there to sign for deliveries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would prefer to hear from people who find it hard to get their materials and how they cope with it. The British, North Americans and continental Europeans are very spoilt in the sense that they could live in the smallest city in the middle of nowhere, but mail order is easy, fast, cheap and reliable.
    Yet, how about people that don't have it that easy in more remote places or less thriving economies?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ari, sounds like you need to team up with that photo shopkeepers wife and make the business survive. That would solve a few of your supply problems.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I buy my slide film in a photo store
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That $5 shipping from freestyle is hard to beat.(just thought I would rub it in a little more(

Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    I would prefer to hear from people who find it hard to get their materials and how they cope with it. The British, North Americans and continental Europeans are very spoilt in the sense that they could live in the smallest city in the middle of nowhere, but mail order is easy, fast, cheap and reliable.
    Yet, how about people that don't have it that easy in more remote places or less thriving economies?
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in a major metropolitan area and can no longer buy sheet film or 120 locally. 35mm is no problem - but anything else is mail order only. There are now only 2 full service camera stores left - Adray (down from 4 stores to 3) and Cameramart (1 store). They and the few others that pretent to be camera stores - I generally have more 120 in my reefer than any one store has in the whole store.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in a mid-size city, and there's easy access to 35mm film and darkroom supplies, although it's slightly more expensive to buy locally than to buy online (even with shipping and tax). There's 1 full-time pro lab here, but their developing services are either very limited or too expensive to consider. There's plenty of 1-hour labs here (London Drugs-type), but you know how "great" their quality is compared to a full-scale pro lab.

Everyone's migrating over to digital 35mm or P/S, and it's sad because people (especially teens and the 20+ crowd) nowdays expect instantaneous gratification whenever I take a photo. I have to actually tell them I'm shooting film because their attention span doesn't go more than a couple seconds and they look elsewhere. And when I do so, they always ask why I still shoot film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I live in North Orange County California, about a mile South of Knotts Berry Farm. Most of the nearby photo stores have closed. Those that are still open locally offer only digital equipment and supplies. I work in Long Beach and there is a photo store that I have purchased many items from through the years. In September I went in to buy some Photo Flo and I saw that all but a few items for the darkroom were now gone. I asked them to order some photo flo and the owner told me Kodak discontinued it. I responded with no they haven't and he responded with well they should. I told them I would be doing business elsewhere it he wasn't going to support film and I have not been back.

I don't like to order online and I don't like mail order because I seem to never be home when the package arrives. I live is a tough area and I would not rely on a neighbor to accept the package, they may sell it or pawn it or who knows what.

On Friday I drove into Hollywood to Freestyle and it took over 2 hours to get there with all the traffic. I will not be doing that again anytime soon.

So I am now looking at my options for film and darkroom supplies.

I would rather shop in a store so I can see and handle the product and I don't have to wait for delivery.
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin