Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,499   Online: 985

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no local film or photo store here. I have to drive at least 2 hours to find one! I live in a city of 30,000 people, surrounded by cities of the same size, and there are only "photo departments" in the numerous Big Box stores, but no real photo/film store. The only film available at all is consumer color neg, and darkroom stuff?--Forget it!

So it's mail order for everything. The good news is that I have never had a problem with mail order, and if I want to pay the extra cost, I can have it overnight. I usually use regular ground shipping though.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a decent local store. They don't stock much of what I want, unfortunately, but I can get reasonably-priced Ilford RC paper in 8x10 and 5x7 size quite easily. 11x14 they order for me. They have single 35mm and 120 rolls of most good b&w films but the 100'/30.5m spools have to be ordered most of the time. Still, it only takes two or three days (they tend to have it in their warehouse in Winnipeg) so it's fast enough, and the pricing is very reasonable. Fibre paper sometimes takes a little longer but at least I know it's fresh, in that case.

As for chemistry, I'm making most of my own now. I do get my rapid fixer from my dealer. They stock small bottles but they order the 5L jugs that I like. I just order a little before I need it. It isn't so bad.

I used to get my E6 film from the local dealer (I still do if I'm under duress) but it's a lot cheaper to mail order it from B&H now, despite the heavy cost of shipping it to Canada, so I get huge orders every year or so and that helps to keep the cost of the shipping reasonable.

I buy very little in the way of photographic consumables on impulse, so having to plan ahead a little is okay. I tend to have too much so it's rare that I actually run out. If anything, I need to have a printing frenzy and use some of my paper up.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am fortunate to live in Greater Toronto where there is a couple of decent camera stores that still have a darkroom section. I have ordered 35mm film from JanC in the past with no issues, I hope they re-open and still carry Adox in 35mm. A fair chunk of my gear is bought off planet Ebay and local camera shows. I so I do a bit of mail order and some keeping the local guys going.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So I guess, the vocal members of APUG are only the spoilt north americans and brits. Oh, well, I was expecting some interesting tale, I guess people can't lose the opportunity to declare how lucky they are.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    So I guess, the vocal members of APUG are only the spoilt north americans and brits. Oh, well, I was expecting some interesting tale, I guess people can't lose the opportunity to declare how lucky they are.
    I am not one of them, just a spoiled Swede. But I live in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, where everything is hard to get. If you dont ask anyone of the thousands and thousands of seasonals workers to bring it from Moscow of course, where they go to toil on construction sites. I am sure everything can be arranged against an appropriate fee.

Locally there are dozens of mini labs that do C-41, but they will not return any film without unsubtly scratching it and placing large finger prints on the best frames.

Myself I buy lots of film when I am abroad (Moscow, Istanbul, Stockholm), and try not to develop it here, but sometimes I do so anyway.
    Last edited by Erik Petersson; 02-12-2007 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Fortunately I work in the photo supply store and I am the guy who orders film. 135, 120, sheet, Kodachrome. The only problem is those digitally blinded ninnies at the purchasing department occasionally need the sharp stick in the eye treatment to get them moving down the true path.
    She: What do you do for a living?
    Me: I take pictures.
    She: Oh, you're a photographer.
    Me: No,... I'm an art thief. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in Phoenix, at one time I was able to purhase all of my supplies, hardware, paper, chemstray from one of 4 or 5 photo shops. We are down to 2 full service shops, very little hardware although both will order, Illford paper some Forte at one shop, both with a differnt selection of chem. Over the past 2 or 3 years I have been buying more and more from mail order or the internet. I expect that over time even large cities like Phoenix (6th or 5th in the US) supplies will continue to decline. For me the loss is not having as many sales persons who can give advise or even answer questions about product.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Aristotelis,

What actually happens if you ordr from one of the UK companies? Have you tried it?

The delay might be longer, and in summer, the film might get hotter. So ORDER NOW.

Or am I missing the point? (Entirely possible)

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm

Horror story

You wanted a tale and now you'll get one
    I live in a 3rd largest city in Russia, population-wise (1,4mln). It's named Novosibirsk. The fact is, the film is almost 99% dead here and all business is digital. You can buy any of the latest top dSLR's and accessories for them, but you can't, for example, buy a single roll of slide film - it's simply not sold and not comercially processed here. Next, 120 format is completely absent and unheard of. There's just one small firm that can process C41 120 films - provided you have them, because 120 film is not sold here I'm not even talking about larger formats. In fact, there's no professional film lab in the whole 1.4 million city!

The problem with film in Russia is that almost everything is in Moscow. But, unlike your story about Crete/Greece, Moscow is 3000km from me and it takes 2 complete days just to get there by train or 4 hours by flight (in one direction). Both ways will cost you about half of your 'normal' average salary (for many, many people it would be even bigger part of their salaries).

Mail orders are also hard, there's just one store that sells chemicals over internet and Russian post also leaves much to be desired. I don't know of any e-shops that will send you film.

So, to sum it up, messing with film in parts of Russia that are far from Moscow is complete insanity nowadays. Yes, I am insane

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Aristotelis,

What actually happens if you ordr from one of the UK companies? Have you tried it?

The delay might be longer, and in summer, the film might get hotter. So ORDER NOW.

Or am I missing the point? (Entirely possible)

Cheers,

R.
    I have ordered a few times from UK companies, including Robert Hall, RH Designs, Kentmere and Amazon UK. I have stated more than once that I don't like the "overseas" shipping charges (there is a bloody tunnel under the Channel and for one, no one charges "overseas" for Crete) but delivery is fast and reliable. The difference is that Fotoimpex for example has a flat rate throughout Europe and the UK companies only offer such inside the british islands. In that respect, delivery of heavy items is very cost prohibitive and feels like the UK is not European territory.
    But we digress.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin