Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,181   Online: 1153

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    ... feels like the UK is not European territory.
    Dear Aristotelis,

Ah, yes. Point taken. Sorry I'd not spotted it before.

I always order my Land Rover parts from a UK company with a £5 (call it 7.5 euro) flat charge in most of Europe. I'm puzzled that no UK photo exporters I know have the same policy.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I guess, the vocal members of APUG are only the spoilt north americans and brits. Oh, well, I was expecting some interesting tale, I guess people can't lose the opportunity to declare how lucky they are.
    Well, yes, to a certain extent. Iliks's story is a proof of this fact.

For my part, I can only say that when I'm online I'm a film imperator because of all the information, people, and products I can reach. But when I switch off the computer it's cold and dreary. Photo stores employees all have the depressed tone in their voice when talking about film, as if they were run into the ground by it, and in need of a digital revitalization. Of course, the products are still on the shelf, so it's really not terrible, it's just that I feel like I'm a weird kind of customer for loading up on bulk rolls and powder chems.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and feels like the UK is not European territory.
    But we digress.
    Actually, that point really isn't a digression, Ari, it is the crux of the matter. doesn't the UK still use Pound Sterling as their currency, not the Euro? What makes you think they are European? They weren't European a decade ago when I was last there.

But now I really digress!

I understand your feelings... but don't hate those of us who are lucky enough to buy off the shelves.

Your buddy,
    Brian (a spoiled American who can buy over-the-counter almost anything photographic that is still made by driving over the hill to Hollywood).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    They weren't European a decade ago when I was last there.
    Still aren't. I was last there in November and will be there again at the end of this month (for Focus). And yes, it's still the pound sterling, currently standing at positively Churchillian heights against the American rupiah, sorry, dollar.

I met my wife in LA and used to live in California, close enough to drive to Hollywood when I needed things.

Silverprint in London is even better for materials and chemistry than my favourite Hollywood stores (I moved back to the UK from California), but the parking's a bloody sight easier in Hollywood than London.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    and feels like the UK is not European territory.
    It's hard to consider UK as "Europe", don't they use the non-metric system too?

But if you ask me, Spain is Africa... :rolleyes:

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's still possible to buy film in Bergen, Norway - as long as you want 35mm C41. The others can be found or ordered with a little searching, but I find it easier to mail (internet) order. There are a few good Norwegian webshops, but if I want a lot, and soon it's faster and cheaper to order from Germany. In the UK, Retro Photographic is the only one I've ordered from.
    In Germany I've used Monochrom for the hard-to-get items like Bergger papers, and Nordfoto for large orders of sheet film.

There's also the additional problem that Norway is in Europe, but not in the EU...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Orte Tudela View Post
    It's hard to consider UK as "Europe", don't they use the non-metric system too?
    As far as possible, most of us (at least, those of my age and older) still use the imperial measurement system despite having the metric system taught in schools since about 1970.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    metric system taught in schools since about 1970.
    Oh, I didn't know. But you're still driving in the wrong side

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Send in the gunboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Orte Tudela View Post
    Oh, I didn't know. But you're still driving in the wrong side
    Foreigners Fawlty, foreigners
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Foreigners Fawlty, foreigners
    Whatever you do, don't...mention...the war. I did once but I don't think they took notice.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin