Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,960   Online: 1159
      
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Joyce, WA
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by iliks View Post
    You wanted a tale and now you'll get one
    I live in a 3rd largest city in Russia, population-wise (1,4mln). It's named Novosibirsk. The fact is, the film is almost 99% dead here and all business is digital. You can buy any of the latest top dSLR's and accessories for them, but you can't, for example, buy a single roll of slide film - it's simply not sold and not comercially processed here. Next, 120 format is completely absent and unheard of. There's just one small firm that can process C41 120 films - provided you have them, because 120 film is not sold here I'm not even talking about larger formats. In fact, there's no professional film lab in the whole 1.4 million city!

    The problem with film in Russia is that almost everything is in Moscow. But, unlike your story about Crete/Greece, Moscow is 3000km from me and it takes 2 complete days just to get there by train or 4 hours by flight (in one direction). Both ways will cost you about half of your 'normal' average salary (for many, many people it would be even bigger part of their salaries).

    Mail orders are also hard, there's just one store that sells chemicals over internet and Russian post also leaves much to be desired. I don't know of any e-shops that will send you film.

    So, to sum it up, messing with film in parts of Russia that are far from Moscow is complete insanity nowadays. Yes, I am insane
    Wow, you have my total respect and admiration. I'll pause before I do any bitching about postal or ups...for awhile anyway :->

  2. #52
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,589
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Orte Tudela View Post
    Oh, I didn't know. But you're still driving in the wrong side
    We drive on the right side.... the left!


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    We drive on the right side.... the left!


    Steve.
    This one always intrigues me. Even Frenchmen and Americans get onto a horse (or indeed a motorcycle) from the right side. In those countries that drive on the proper side of the road (including India, don't forget) you can do this from the kerb. People who drive on the wrong side of the road have to go out into the street. Now, who thought this one through...?

    Cheers,

    R.

  4. #54
    Struan Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    914
    Blame the frenchies:

    http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...the%20left.htm

    I have also seen arguments that canal and river traffic and the need to keep steering oars (which are usually on the starboard side, for right handed helmsmen) out in the stream away from the banks, led to a left hand rule for rivers. Except that a horse or man-drawn barge would require a keep right rule on the towpath, and there is the awkward fact that river traffic almost always keeps right, all over the world.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Blame the frenchies:

    http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...the%20left.htm

    I have also seen arguments that canal and river traffic and the need to keep steering oars (which are usually on the starboard side, for right handed helmsmen) out in the stream away from the banks, led to a left hand rule for rivers. Except that a horse or man-drawn barge would require a keep right rule on the towpath, and there is the awkward fact that river traffic almost always keeps right, all over the world.
    Dear Struan,

    Next time I'm pullng a barge down the road with a horse on the sidewalk, I'll remember that...

    Cheers,

    R.

  6. #56
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,589
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    This one always intrigues me. Even Frenchmen and Americans get onto a horse (or indeed a motorcycle) from the right side. In those countries that drive on the proper side of the road (including India, don't forget) you can do this from the kerb. People who drive on the wrong side of the road have to go out into the street. Now, who thought this one through...?

    Cheers,

    R.
    I read somewhere that it pre-dates driving and was about being in the correct place to defend yourself with your sword when walking along a path. i.e. with your sword hanging by your left side, you pull it from it's holder with your right hand.
    If you were walking along the left of the path then you can only be attacked by someone to your right - where your sword is!

    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  7. #57
    Struan Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Next time I'm pullng a barge down the road with a horse on the sidewalk, I'll remember that...
    You'll go faster if you get the horse to help.

    As for hermitage. I'm a hermit because I am reluctant to pay the local prices - which for MF and LF are geared to the price-insensitive commercial photographers. We have a good postal service, so it's no big deal for me to order film from the USA and to send it for processing in the UK. I can't say I get any tinge of regret when I hit the 'checkout' button.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I read somewhere that it pre-dates driving and was about being in the correct place to defend yourself with your sword when walking along a path. i.e. with your sword hanging by your left side, you pull it from it's holder with your right hand.
    If you were walking along the left of the path then you can only be attacked by someone to your right - where your sword is!

    Steve.
    Dear Steve,

    Yeah, I've heard that one too, and it strikes me as a good story but probably not true. Under the ancien régime in France and as far as I am aware, everywhere else, 'right of way' was with the rich -- who would seldom meet on the road. Everyone else got out of their way. There's something about bullock carts, too, but I have yet to discover whether it's true or a load of bullocks.

    Cheers,

    R.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    You'll go faster if you get the horse to help.

    As for hermitage. I'm a hermit because I am reluctant to pay the local prices - which for MF and LF are geared to the price-insensitive commercial photographers. We have a good postal service, so it's no big deal for me to order film from the USA and to send it for processing in the UK. I can't say I get any tinge of regret when I hit the 'checkout' button.
    Oh, bugger! I thought I was supposed to pull the barge and the horse!

    I fully take your point about local dealers. A story:

    A friend of mine who lives maybe three doors from her nearest camera store (she used to run the restaurant on the ground floor of her house) went in to buy some 8x10 glossy Multigrade IV. The owner said, "It will take at least 10 days because I have to put in a minimum order, and I haven't got one yet."

    For £10 less, including next-day delivery, she could buy it by mail order. Guess which she chose?

    Sure, support your local dealer -- but not when you get lousy prices AND lousy service!

    Cheers,

    R.

  10. #60
    Struan Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    914
    To be fair, local dealers are at the mercy of the distributors. In small markets that can be hell.

    Our local camera shop is very good. Still staffed by people who know about photography, but largely selling digicams and printing services these days. They have always been helpful and flexible as I have moved away from the average demographic (putting a roll or two of 120 through their processors, because they can, even if they don't normally, and I needed it fast). In return I send people there who want or need service rather than the absolute lowest prices. They can't compete in any way for my occasional need for a box of 4x5 at short notice, or a MF rear lens cover, or negative sheets that are truly archival: the distributor won't let them have it at any price that makes sense.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin