Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,828   Online: 850

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    This one always intrigues me. Even Frenchmen and Americans get onto a horse (or indeed a motorcycle) from the right side.
    Really?? I stopped riding motorcycles about two decades ago, but I ALWAYS mounted it from the left side; same with bicycles. I only rode a horse once and I recall mounting the saddle from the left. Now I have a dilemna... and strong sense of cognitive dissonance: am I really an American, or am I living in the shadow of my Scottish ancestry?

p.s. I approach my tripod-mounted camera from the left, too!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Really?? I stopped riding motorcycles about two decades ago, but I ALWAYS mounted it from the left side; same with bicycles. I only rode a horse once and I recall mounting the saddle from the left. Now I have a dilemna... and strong sense of cognitive dissonance: am I really an American, or am I living in the shadow of my Scottish ancestry?

Sorry. Duh. It's ON your right, so you mounr FROM the left. My fault. Brain fade.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    To be fair, local dealers are at the mercy of the distributors. In small markets that can be hell.
    Very true -- but there comes a point where supporting them no longer makes sense, as they cannot do ANYTHING for you (even if they can be bothered).

I don't know if that shop is still in business, but the problem was that there were far too many small photo shops in a very small area: as I recall, four or five in Canterbury (including not one but two Jessopses), two in Margate (20 km away), one in Ramsgate (3 km from Margate), another in Faversham (maybe 10 km from Canterbury) and more. That's not counting the consumer electronics shops like Dixons who sold digicams. Realistically, there was only business for one decent camera store (which indeed I patronized to the tune of a few hundred pounds a year).

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

Bicycles and motorcycles without centerstands have kickstands on the left side. Of course you mount them from the left, they're parked leaning to the left. I was also taught to mount a horse on the left.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I was also taught to mount a horse on the left.
    Me, too. Maybe that's why I took so many "unplanned flights" through the air?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect one tends to mount assorted transportation devices from the left because most people are right hand/footed and it is thus easier to cock your right leg over than it is the left and keep your balance. Alternately, going back in history far enough, if you are wearing a sword, it will dangle down out of the way as you mount your horse instead of being flung about as your leg comes over or getting stuck behind you - very undignified!

As for postage to continental Europe, even the Post Office gets in on that act. It costs 44p to pop a letter across the North Sea to The Netherlands or elsewhere in Europe, but only 6p more to send one all the way to New Zealand...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reason vehicles drive on the right hand side of the road is because of the French.

Virtually all horse drawn vehicles, were driven with the driver on the R/H side. The reason was simple, the brake was on the right side as the strongest arm (generally) is the right arm, except for those unfortunate enough to be left handed.

Prior to about 1903 all vehicles, if they weren't centrally steered, were steered from the right side of the vehicle body.

In 1902 (I think) the first international automobile race was held in France, I cannot remember who won, but it was basically between the French, Germans and the English.

The next year, the French announced about 2 weeks before the race, that the direction of the race was to be reversed, from a clockwise direction around the oval shaped circuit, to anti-clockwise.

Accordingly, the French had re-located their driving position to the left side of the vehicle so that the driver was on the inside of the turn of the track. The French won the race with the Germans on their heels and the English a poor third.

The Germans, who were mainly driving the 1902 Benz racing auto, requested the company to alter the design of the 1901-1902 auto to have a left seated driver. This Benz did in their 1903 racing auto, which was on display the last time I visited the Daimler-Benz museum in Cannstatt near Stuttgart.

Henry Ford produced right hand drive vehicles, as did other manufacturers in the USA up until just under a century ago. The Swiss French racing driver, Louis Chevrolet, was a driving force in changing the side that the steering wheel was on in the North Americas. Louis Chevrolet produced a pilot car in 1911 which was big, powerful and left hand drive. In 1912 this car hit the streets and it became a symbol of prestige and people wanted it, but generally couldn't afford it. So they looked at lesser automobiles, but wanted left hand drive like the Chevrolet.

Henry Ford's Fordmobile in 1903, which was renamed the Model-A, was a right hand drive vehicle. Basically that was the first successful vehicle Ford manufactured. During the reign of the later Model-T automobile, Henry Ford declared that from now on all of our vehicles will be left hand drive.

As in interesting aside, in 1923 there were 1,817,891 Model-T Ford automobiles sold. This is a single model and make record that still stands to this day.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    *yawn*
    and I thought this thread would be interesting and informative...
    atleast there was the report from iliks from the depths of Siberia...

Good luck to all the analog photographers that struggle for their material, I hope you don't lose hope.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    *yawn*
    and I thought this thread would be interesting and informative...
    atleast there was the report from iliks from the depths of Siberia...

Good luck to all the analog photographers that struggle for their material, I hope you don't lose hope.
    What, you did not expect spoilt north american and brits to ignore totally your situation? That's not even news, you know.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iliks View Post

Mail orders are also hard, there's just one store that sells chemicals over internet and Russian post also leaves much to be desired. I don't know of any e-shops that will send you film.
    We can ship to everywhere in Russia for 25 EUR / 1 KG to about 40 EUR / 31 KG

I don´t know if this helps you.

Regards,

Mirko

FOTOIMPEX Berlin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin