Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,100   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak EPT Gone?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dono. I want it because I like to shoot it at night and then cross it.

EPT crossed doesn't look a thing like Elitechrome 400 through an 80C and then crossed.

Sure, I could get roughly the same results in Photoshop... but then I might as well be shooting digital. :P

jd callow
    Use Fujichrome T64. Very good sharpness.
    Small inconvenience : 3100 K (instead of 3200 K).
    Do with Kodak what it did with us : forget it.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sergio. RPT is nothing like EPT and vice versa. EPT has a unique palette, wonderful grain excellent latitude and cross processes like no other.

Kodak has forgotten us how; by offering more choice in excellent film than the market can bear; by updating their product; or is it because they are trying to keep the company from going belly up?

Kodak is a company not a charity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post

You are thinking of applications totally different, such as available light photography in 35mm. I am talking studio photography in 4x5 or 8x10,
    or 11x14 transparencies.

Yeah thats what I always thought 800Z and Portra 800 were for available light, and I would have thoguth that would be more than likely tungsten. FWIW I think tungsten lighting its self is probably going to be on its way out soon at least in studios as LED technology becomes more advanced.
    Last edited by ajuk; 02-20-2007 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So? What about incandescent lights in the house that are much closer to tungsten than daylight... and most lighting intended for home use is going to match that, not daylight too...

And remember that HMI, which gets a lot of use on the bigger movie sets, is closer to daylight balance. Phosphor-based and tri-color technologies (cold cathode, florescent, LEDs) can be set to whatever color balance you want. I suspect that they'll stick with tungsten balance until they stop using film and probably beyond, simply because that's what people are used to dealing with.

DKT

they'll stick with the tungsten simply because it's paid for & it's cheap. try figuring out how much it will cost a studio to upgrade to HMI lights, from a stable of mole-richardsons or arri's, and it wil become apparent pretty fast (I know--been there/done that). tungsten's not going anywhere anytime soon in terms of studio work, since it's also a great source for digital, and video--multimedia etc, where everything in the commercial world is headed. I think we'll be using our moles & lowells longer than the speedotrons to be honest.

EPY, EPN--they seem like old-fashioned films compared to the newer stuff, but they're the tools of the trade for product, architectural & furniture work. anything for accurate color repro.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah when I said Tungsten, what I meant was incandescent, like the lighting at wedding receptions ETC, its more likely to be closer to tungsten than daylight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I finally called up Kodak.

EPT (160T) and EPJ (320T) are both gone. They've been out of production for some months now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin