Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,904   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forte issue?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Forte issue?

Robert, you were this week in Hradec Kralové to discuss of the future of forte. So this is my question: what's going on?

Aurelien
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Hello ? Anyone hear anything since the flurry of optimism a few weeks back?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am sorry to tell you that Forte seems to be definitely dead.

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Translated by Babel Fish:rolleyes:

FORTE at the end

For 5 weeks the machines stand still with FORTE. After our information there is no hope that production is ever again taken up. The past years were too involving heavy losses, to largely the value of properties and the buildings. Whereupon it runs out now: one uses the area and the buildings or one tears her off. Depending on, who buys everything. FORTE of papers sold by several offerers under own name, also in Germany. From this circle there are efforts, with another manufacturer from the eastern European Union area a paper manufacture to leave, which approximates the popular Polywarmtone plus FB. This idea stands however completely at the beginning. It is still completely open, which from it becomes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So translated, someone else (Foma perhaps) is going to try an clone Polywarmtone Plus FB, I heard a few formulations are off to Kentmere, the film business is dead in the water and the plant will be flattened for a shopping mall. That is unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Uncle Bill,

Back when Forte's closure was first announced Kentmere did tell the British Journal of Photography that they were taking a look at making a deal to produce some of the papers in the UK.

I don't think anything ever came of that. Certainly, at this stage, there has been no further news from Kentmere that I know of.

Have you heard anything concrete?

It does sound like somebody will have to buy the Forte "cow" outright in order for us to have the photographic "milk" - at least from Vac. That doesn't sound likely unless a general credit crunch emerges...At the moment, the present ownership seems content to sit on the property and let it appreciate.

Perhaps the papers can be produced elsewhere. We will have to see.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    What I know is "some other paper maker will try to produce PW14 paper" but nothing is assured about cloning died Polywarmtone paper by Forte. When you take a recipe and make it in another kitchen, the taste is often different.

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I am busy with my last Forte PW14 paper on 50x60cm now and I hope we can bring back this paper soon on a very equivalent base again. But you're right about reproducing papers on another location with other equipment so in fact impossible to reproduce 100% exactly the same type of paper but I am sure we will be very close to it .

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the update, Robert.

Is there any possiblity that the neutral-toned Polygrade papers may also be produced again under such an arrangement?

As always, your continued efforts on behalf of the analog photographic community are appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin