Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,850   Online: 735

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Richard: The Camera Trading Co. certainly has some nice toys (drooling), and occacionally I have a look at their various offerings (although I still hold an old personal grudge from years ago against them). Does anyone know if Eastview is still open? They usually had the most ecclectic mix of products on their shelves.

@tmike: I'll have to swing by Galaxy to check the availability for large format film. Let's see what they can do for B/W film. I am fine for 4x5 - stocked my freezer to the rim with5$@box deals from when Henry's was still the Focus Center up until Henry's started shipping the close-to-expiry-date film off to their Toronto Outlet Center. Still got boxes of 4x5 TechPan sitting around :-) .

Chris
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks, Simon.

And, of course, thanks for looking into this, Simon.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi guys in Ottawa, I hope your local dealer decides to get some stock but if he doesn't I'm happy to ship to Ottawa and have many clients in the area.
    As far a having a minimal order with Wynit goes I've never heard that and I order from them every week.
    Is it possible the store just doesn't want to sell the stuff anymore. For most stores they feel that digi is cool and chemicals aren't.

Also if you're in Ottawa area feel free to come out to the Large Format gathering in May. You can get info in the large format section.
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    Is it possible the store just doesn't want to sell the stuff anymore. For most stores they feel that digi is cool and chemicals aren't.
    That may well be, Rob. It does seem to be par for the course for the photo supply sector here in Ottawa. We've lost an amazing amount of resources over the past 2 years. Now I'm discouraged.... We'll see what Simon digs up.

Thanks for the invitation.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    We are having serious issues here in Vancouver as well. The store I work for is having such a hard time getting Ilford products we are only carrying Oriental paper now and I havn't seen a shipment of Ilford chemicals come in in over 6 months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    That may well be, Rob. It does seem to be par for the course for the photo supply sector here in Ottawa. We've lost an amazing amount of resources over the past 2 years. Now I'm discouraged.... We'll see what Simon digs up.
    Part of the problem is the complete lack of infrastructure and industry in a larger sense in Ottawa. The supply sector has to supply someone, and the someone isn't here in. In Toronto one can find a studio or photographer on every corner. Name me ONE major photostudio here in Ottawa, just one (the closest one is probably the Lee Valley internal studio). We got a bunch of smaller studios catering to the wedding clientle, and about a handful of dedicated commercial photographers. Most of the commercial folks gave up their studios in the past few years and work out of their homes. There's barely anyone of the serious ones left, aside from the hordes of wannabe's with DRebels (everyone a "pro" in their mind). Sure, the local schools and colleges churn out photographers by the busload, but all these kids are interested are little digicams and most won't pursue a career in professional photography. That complete lack of a viable healthy photo industry had to led to the current situation, where stores only focus on the mass market consumer who wants little more than a P&S for vacation time. Drop by the local pro associations; the portrait oriented one is filled with recent college grads, the commercial oriented one can be counted on both hands. That's hardly an industry, and no industry means no demand, means no need for keeping a supply.
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rob
    I will check out your web site. Thank God for apug! Our society seems to be evolving into an organism with minimal contact between its elements. Easier to control; I guess.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I also want to push for Elm Street Camera in Toronto. They are very keen to keep us supplied and know the products they sell. It's not only price but help and guidance that are really missing at the big stores. We have to support the guys at these places who really stand out for service. They also take the time to get more exotic films and papers that keep our interest. You can get other film and papers there that are not found anywhere else in the city. My two cents...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eight Elm is a great little store and I can't recommend them enough. I realize I am spoiled living in Greater Toronto, I still remember Travis Nunn who came up from Virginia for the APUG conference, his jaw hit the ground when we paid a visit to Vistek for a slide film replenishment run and saw the corner of darkroom gear, chemicals and paper.

Unfortunately that does not help those who live in the Ottawa Valley and other parts of Canada. The sad thing will be, when in Toronto, stock up, whatever you can fit in your luggage or car trunk. It's a sad state of affairs if you can't find it in your own back yard.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I read posts like this I get angered at the business model existing in Canada. What manufacturers, marketers, distributors and retailers need to know is that THERE IS A MARKET in Canada. A big one too.

Ooh, I get so anagered with distributors like Daymen et al .. claiming the market is small, while hundreds if not thousands of Canadians shop online at B&H, Adorama, etc...

Shops like Henry's and Vistek in Toronto are digital pushers. And it's not just with traditional products too. The variety of equipment available to touch, feel, try out and buy in Canada is pathetic. Again with everyone but the market claiming there is no market in Canada.

Threads like this frustrate me because the business model is a self spiraling one. What Canadians need is a shop that is dedicated to photography - no distributors, not ownerships by electronic companies, but owners who are passionate about photographic equipment, materials and supplies.

Errr .... I hope you guys in Ottawa get your supplies.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin