Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,241   Online: 915

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I also live in Ottawa - it's too bad there is less and less local availability of B+W products. I would certainly welcome more availability in Ottawa!

That being said, it should be noted that Henry's will ship from their other stores to Ottawa free of charge (with a turn around of a few days). Though less than ideal, it is certainly an option.

In terms of film, it is also getting harder and harder (I find the best choice for film in Ottawa is Henry's in Kanata). I know the prices for film are substantially higher than other stores in Montreal / Toronto. So, if you order a reasonable amount, it will actually come out cheaper to pay the shipping and order on-line. NOTE: I have also had luck in getting Henry's to match the Vistek prices for film.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

I see you sell Galerie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    Hi guys in Ottawa, I hope your local dealer decides to get some stock but if he doesn't I'm happy to ship to Ottawa and have many clients in the area.
    As far a having a minimal order with Wynit goes I've never heard that and I order from them every week.
    Is it possible the store just doesn't want to sell the stuff anymore. For most stores they feel that digi is cool and chemicals aren't.

Also if you're in Ottawa area feel free to come out to the Large Format gathering in May. You can get info in the large format section.
    Thanks Rob: I am happy to see you carry Galerie. My next order is going to you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

The US director has spoken with our Canadian marketing people, and indeed Rob Skeoch has stated that our distribution ex USA works very well. We are comfortable with the distributioon model, but we are on the phone today doing an audit of product availability in Ottawa and elsewhere in Canada.

Once again many thanks for keeping a vigilant eye on the market.

On a 'general' level, talking to photo retailers does work, we have a new account opened recently because people were asking for 'darkroom' and he had never stocked paper and chemistry before, reinforcing what you are prepared to buy does work with most retailers :

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    Hi, Simon; Mike from Ottawa writing...

This morning I left the house with a photographic shopping list and had to go to the three remaining shops that carry at least some darkroom products. After I'd done my rounds, I ended up being unable to find a couple of products. This lead to a discussion with one of the gentlemen at Galaxy Photo, who have the largest and most varied number of items still in stock. Not nearly enough, I have to add.

It seems that in order to get any Ilford products, he must adhere to an unreasonable minimum order policy set by the importer, WYNIT of the USA. He says it's nowhere near reasonable given that they're a small retailer and that darkroom practice has become a niche market. The importer apparently, doesn't seem to care as their main focus is electronics...

Simon, is Ilford able to exercise any influence over that policy? It must be affecting Ilford sales across Canada.

I argue that, for the importer, making the products available and allowing a small retailer to keep darkroom products stocked in any quantity that meets demand (however small, as long as it exists) gets the photographers into the shop and therefore could generate sales of ALL products.. Many people mix and match their film and digital techniques, so it seems to me that supporting film and darkroom practice can be advantageous from a business point of view.

Ginn's will soon have no more darkroom stuff (they have no more papers). Henry's, being a big chain, keeps a couple of token boxes of papers and can order stuff in from Toronto, but they obviously don't care to keep up their analog section here in Ottawa. Galaxy seems to want to continue supporting analog photography.

This level of decrease doesn't make sense. We're a region of well over a million people here. There are still 3 schools teaching darkroom; Carleton U., The Ottawa School of Arts and the School of Photographic Arts. There are at least 3 clubs... Plenty of clients for a small-niche retailer to survive, especially since there is really no more competition!

Cheers.
    I have PMd Simon on the same problem here in Halifax several times. I think he cares but I sense he is stuck with an arrangement he can't do anything about. Apparently Ilford considers Canada to be North AMERICA which it is becoming less and less philosophically. This arrangement ain't gonna work.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm

minimums

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Mike,

Thanks for your note, we appreciate it, I have already spoken to the director responsible for North America, once he has investigated the specific issue I will reply. We have two full time HARMAN technology marketing people based in Canada, so we are obviously concerned at your note.

Thanks again

Simon :ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Large minimum orders are not new in retail, however when Ilford is the only game other than smaller players it is time to re-evaluate policy. There is no Canadian warehouse, therefore stock must be ordered from the USA.

The price of Ilford MG RC paper took a pretty sharp price increase this, year as did the chemistry. The liquid chemicals took a big leap as well, plus as classified as hazardous chemicals they have to be shipped surface freight, which often has problems at the border. Again if there was a warehouse in Canada it may help.

The other problem is the lack of a level playing field, if I was a large Toronto chain I qualify for a volume rebate, whereas the small local independent retailer, who is more likely the darkroom dealer is not able to be competitive, the catch 22 is the chain isn't interested in promoting chemical paper & supplies. Hell printer ink and inkjet paper is easier to flog..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The retailer who complains about Wynit's 'unreasonable' minimum order policy is pumping bullbleep. This from Wynit's own website:

"MINIMUM ORDER

All orders under $100.00 are subject to a $5.00 handling charge."

A retailer's restocking order for film, paper and chemistry doesn't have to be for very much to get to $100. They just don't want to handle it.

http://www.wynit.com/reseller/reseller.asp

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My retailer (Don's Photo) has a pretty good supply of Ilford stuff, and can get what I want reasonably quickly. The only problem I've had is getting postcard paper (which I got from Rob Skeoch instead).

Honestly, I don't care where I can get it from, as long as I can get it economically. We're getting to the point in the b&w world where, unless you live in a massive city, you have to plan ahead a bit about what you need.

I get to Eight Elm in Toronto once a year or so - it's a great little store. I try to buy something every time I go. I got some 4x5 sheet film holders last time since I had a ton of paper and chemistry. The time before I got some Forte paper (which I will miss now that it's gone).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work in a small retail photo in PA USA, and I never have any problems ordering from Wynit. 100 dollars is easy to obtain even at cost, and its not 100 dollars of each product either.

-R
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bullbleep?

Bullbleep? Can't get that up here, either....

From what I understand, the minimum order is much higher for retailers across the border here in Canada. Duty, brokerage, restrictions and paperwork with respect to liquid chemicals, etc.; all that enters into play when there's a border (and homeland security, don't forget) involved. If it was $100, I can't imagine anyone complaining.

Anyhow, always a chance you're right. We'll see if we get an answer and a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    The retailer who complains about Wynit's 'unreasonable' minimum order policy is pumping bullbleep. This from Wynit's own website:
    "MINIMUM ORDER
    All orders under $100.00 are subject to a $5.00 handling charge."

A retailer's restocking order for film, paper and chemistry doesn't have to be for very much to get to $100. They just don't want to handle it.
    http://www.wynit.com/reseller/reseller.asp
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic View Post
    I work in a small retail photo in PA USA, and I never have any problems ordering from Wynit. 100 dollars is easy to obtain even at cost, and its not 100 dollars of each product either.
    -R
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

And about internet/mail order

I have no problem with internet/mail order. There are a lot of great suppliers out there and their service is great. I do tend to patronize hometown grass-roots enterprises first, though. Whereas big-box retail and internet sales are here to stay, I give them a lower priority (and appreciate them when I do need to use them). We have to make a bigger effort than ever in our society to keep things face-to-face and personal.

I'll repeat that I think that it's not true that one last small retailer cannot make a go of an analog/darkroom supply section in a region of over a million people, three schools that teach darkroom and 4 photo clubs. To be able to keep the basics in stock and to special-order more esoteric items should not be that hard. The contact with an eager retailer that understands the needs of the community adds to the local interaction and the survival of the medium.

So, if one of the major problems is a barrier in the form of an arbitrary minimum order policy that is actually counter productive, then it should be fixed. Maybe it will be fixed.

But, maybe our retailers have simply stopped believing. Nothing new there.

Cheers
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin