Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,985   Online: 996

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford dying (if not dead) in Ottawa. Simon Galley....

Hi, Simon; Mike from Ottawa writing...

This morning I left the house with a photographic shopping list and had to go to the three remaining shops that carry at least some darkroom products. After I'd done my rounds, I ended up being unable to find a couple of products. This lead to a discussion with one of the gentlemen at Galaxy Photo, who have the largest and most varied number of items still in stock. Not nearly enough, I have to add.

It seems that in order to get any Ilford products, he must adhere to an unreasonable minimum order policy set by the importer, WYNIT of the USA. He says it's nowhere near reasonable given that they're a small retailer and that darkroom practice has become a niche market. The importer apparently, doesn't seem to care as their main focus is electronics...

Simon, is Ilford able to exercise any influence over that policy? It must be affecting Ilford sales across Canada.

I argue that, for the importer, making the products available and allowing a small retailer to keep darkroom products stocked in any quantity that meets demand (however small, as long as it exists) gets the photographers into the shop and therefore could generate sales of ALL products.. Many people mix and match their film and digital techniques, so it seems to me that supporting film and darkroom practice can be advantageous from a business point of view.

Ginn's will soon have no more darkroom stuff (they have no more papers). Henry's, being a big chain, keeps a couple of token boxes of papers and can order stuff in from Toronto, but they obviously don't care to keep up their analog section here in Ottawa. Galaxy seems to want to continue supporting analog photography.

This level of decrease doesn't make sense. We're a region of well over a million people here. There are still 3 schools teaching darkroom; Carleton U., The Ottawa School of Arts and the School of Photographic Arts. There are at least 3 clubs... Plenty of clients for a small-niche retailer to survive, especially since there is really no more competition!

Cheers.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Mike,

Thanks for your note, we appreciate it, I have already spoken to the director responsible for North America, once he has investigated the specific issue I will reply. We have two full time HARMAN technology marketing people based in Canada, so we are obviously concerned at your note.

Thanks again

Simon :ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I completely agree. I have totally given up buying anything in Ottawa as it is a waste of time even looking. Fortunately, I go to Toronto quite often. The only shop I frequent in Ottawa is Central Camera Exchange for second hand items. I now use Ilford products exclusively although I still have some Kodak and Agfa products to use up.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At risk at hijacking this thread, I've been having no luck finding Ilforchrome chemistry in Toronto but can at least I can find Ilford's B&W offerings.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    I completely agree. I have totally given up buying anything in Ottawa as it is a waste of time even looking. Fortunately, I go to Toronto quite often. The only shop I frequent in Ottawa is Central Camera Exchange for second hand items. I now use Ilford products exclusively although I still have some Kodak and Agfa products to use up.
    Same here. The last time I bought something darkroom/film related in Ottawa was around five or six years ago. Nowadays it's a pretty sad affair (well, if you're a musician looking for a wide open space for accoustics, try Ginn's :rolleyes: ). I use Galaxy and Henry's once in a while for my digi gear needs, but the analog side is almost exclusively mailorder now. One can't even get large format film anymore in Canada's Capital (it's all "special order" with matching waiting times).

Where is the Central Camera Exchange? I was only aware of the old Camera Exchange (did it not fold many moons ago and became a Galaxy outlet?) and the CameraTradingCompany (I have to admit, they are not exactly on on my christmas card list, but that's a different story ).

Chris
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=big_ben_blue;444635](well, if you're a musician looking for a wide open space for accoustics, try Ginn's :rolleyes: )

LOL. That's how pathetic it is! I get the impression they're winding down to close shop soon. That's prime real estate and the perfect nest egg to retire with...

Chris, you can get 4x5 at Henry's usually and Galaxy has some Fuji 4x5. He said he's special-ordering some Fuji 8x10 for one client; he has no problem making those little niche orders when it comes to Fuji products. Different importer, you see.

Cheers.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tmike

There is one b&w photography school here in Mississauga close to my house. How many are around the GTA who knows.

EightElm here in Toronto is probably the best place to deal with when photo materials are the matter. It is not big store so they do not care how big/small market is. They have a lot of stuff. Contact them www.eightelmphoto.com and ask to ship you whatever you need.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Daniel.

Eight Elm is fabulous. I've been there once and I do have a wish list of some of their products. I'll be making a trip this spring, I expect.

My main point in my thread though, is how we're not able to get a full range of Ilford products (as well as other analog items) in a store-front setting, in a city of a million people which also happens to be the capital of the country. That importer's policies might be detrimental to Ilford and therefore to analog photography in this region.

If there is no more visible/viable working source, the myth that film is dead is self-perpetuating.

(I know, I know; typical backwoods boring bureaucratic Ottawa... it might be another factor)
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (If you're a consumer, it seems in many cases that talking to the "distributer" goes nowhere. So many retailers seem to be at the mercy of their distributer as if they work for them and not the other way around. I'm a fan of track and field; for years, wherever I lived, I'd make sure that the local news stand carried Track and Field News, "The Bible of the Sport since 1948". I could have subscribed but this way it was "out there" and available to a couple other consumers [who I usually knew, having sent them there]. Sometimes they'd just add it to their list and it would be stocked, but on a few occasions, their "distributer wouldn't carry it". So, I'd go to the shelves to find some ridiculous example, of which there were usually many. Once I found a copy of "Sumo Monthly" [this is a true story] [in Moncton, New Brunswick!]. I argued that more people here would read about track than about Sumo... I won my argument that time...)
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I put my foot where it usually is. I meant Camera trading.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin