Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,989   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Ilford Hardener still in production?

I am looking forward to buying hardener. Is Ilford hardener still in production?
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    35mm
    It doesn't seem to be listed in Ilford's Product Availability list of February 2007. On the site there is a request for products so you could complete that and see what happens. Also I think Kodak may still make a fixer with hardener incorporated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why are you looking for a hardener? It's unnecessary and won't bring anything useful if you are manually processing modern b&w materials...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Of course, it 's not necessary with modern films. But there are still antic films like efke or foma. They may require some.

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aurelien,
    If you require hardener for Efke 25, you can buy Tetenal hardener which is (I think) still made and should be availlable in France.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes, I bought it thanks

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Of course, it 's not necessary with modern films. But there are still antic films like efke or foma. They may require some.
    No, you don't need it. I've always used ordinary rapid fixer and (gasp!) even stop bath. None of the famed pinholes, nor seeing the entire emulsion fall off the base.

Try without first, and you'll know whether you need it.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "...It's unnecessary...."

You ever washed your film in 90F or higher cold tap water? I do it every summer. I use hardening fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    "...It's unnecessary...."

You ever washed your film in 90F or higher cold tap water? I do it every summer. I use hardening fixer.
    Why would one do that? There's the Ilford wash sequence.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't use the Ilford wash sequence. I'm an atheist in that regard. But if I did, I would use tap water and still be at square one.

Kodak Rapid Fix with hardener, HCA and a 10 minute wash works wonderfully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin