Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,569   Online: 796

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If this were true, would it only affect Kodak papers and darkroom equipment, or will it affect Kodak's pro color and B&W film availability in Canada? If this is real, then Fuji and Ilford will be getting all my film spending money from now on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Braxus, I hope you are right.

I never had any connection with Kodak in my photo history, fortunately. It is strange to me Kodak name is still around among photographers. Do they deserve it? For so many No, because they gave up on their the most valuable heritage soooo easy.
    Photographers should concentarate on Ilford, Berger, Efke, ... and just forget that Kodak ever existed. It is biting dead horse.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's Canadian head office is at Islington Rd and Highway 401 after downnesting from Eglington and Black Creek Rd a couple of years ago.

I have a gut feeling its the distributor dropping the ball.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

So?

Just say ILFORD,

Ilford , Ilford , Ilford ,

FP 4 HP 5 ,

Delta , Delta, Delta

XP2

Super

Now wasn't that easy?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, if Kodak does get out of film sales entirely, you can get color film from Ilford?

Well, if Kodak does get out of film sales, you can bet that posts like Dave's are at the root of it. Spread things around a bit! I buy both.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    To the point....I will not bemoan the facts and fate of corporate direction and decision...it is out of my realm...it is not my place to tell one how to run ones business and how to answer to ones investors...

it seems according to the posts that "all is not forthright"

once again the loyal customer is getting some smoke...

Ron, I also readily admit that I speak very selfishly, for me, the "color processes" I as an amature photographer and "artist" work with, and am learning to work with, are not confined to nor dependent upon the use of color film...I would miss it, but it would not be catastrophic in the least...I would be busily back at work with my alternatives bright and early the next morn...

I choose not to align my hopes with a company whose policy statements and direction do not compliment my own expectations...this is not a value judgement at all....each must choose their own dedication and direction.

The times they are a changing...IMNSHO that is usually a good thing...new directions, and opportunites, solutions and unexpected pleasures!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave;

I can agree with you and disagree at the same time. The many friends I see regularly who were laid off from Kodak, and those still working there valiantly in the film area are not happy either. How do you think they feel working at Kodak, being silent and then seeing a post like yours.

Their jobs will go in the next round of reductions.

I would not be able to face any one of them, and not be able to say I had tried to change some opinions here on APUG. Sorry if that bothers you, but I have people I have some 'responsibility' to if I am to speak out in any way whatsoever on APUG, and we cannot blame these good people for one person or one group of people.

It isn't as if a business is a democracy, in the sense that Perez is doing what he was hired to do, and that is to convert Kodak to digital by any means possible.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Can t disagree with you at all Ron.

We all feel for the human side....a corporation has no human conscience...never will...

There is no blame......Dave Goldfarb and I recently had a very nice meeting at PMA with Scott R. DiSabato Kodak Marketing Manager, Professional Film Photographer Trade Relations....a most positive voice for Kodak film....he can be reached at

scott.disabato@kodak.com

I also feel for the many welders replaced by robotics for example, this type of restructure will happen time and time again...a corporation will not entertain what will not pay...the mindset at Kodak is in new direction....the directors and investors seem happy with the new direction....

The CEO just received a very large bonus.

Do I feel we, of APUG, have a voice that will be heard at Kodak?

No I do not!

Do I feel we, of APUG, are powerless to influence the course of Kodak ?

Yes I do!

Do I feel that we of APUG have a voice that will be heard by Ilford?

Yes I do!

Do I feel we, of APUG, are powerless to influence the course of Ilford?

I do not!
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 03-26-2007 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post

Do I feel we, of APUG, have a voice that will be heard at Kodak?

No I do not!

Do I feel we, of APUG, are powerless to influence the course of Kodak ?

Yes I do!

Do I feel that we of APUG have a voice that will be heard by Ilford?

Yes I do!

Do I feel we, of APUG, are powerless to influence the course of Ilford?

I do not!
    Just like when you say a corporation has no human-side, they also have no desire to operate at less than optimal profit margin.
    Do we have voices at Kodak and Ilford? Yes. They live in your wallet. Kodak is not going to produce film at a 5% profit margin, when they can produce digigizmos at a 10% margin. (I made those numbers up, but you get the point) Unless sales of digital products drops to a point where they are less profitable then film products, (or costs of production increase) it's only a matter of time before they sell the recipes to the film stuff to someone else and bid farewell to the film users.

Guess what. Ilford is not in the charity business, either, unless they have some not-for-profit status that I'm not aware of. Without knowing the financials of Ilford, I will venture to say that they will continue to sell film-based products, so long as those products remain their highest profit margin product. May not be long before the competition ceases to exist, and it'll be much easier for Ilford to produce at larger margins, but never assume you have a voice with them, any more so than you lack a voice with Kodak.
    Shareholders are the only real voices of influence. (Maybe we can organize ourselves and buy 51% of Eastman Kodak!)

For the record, I'm going to continue to buy and use Kodak b&w films, D-76, Dektol, fixer and stop bath until they are no longer available.
    Last edited by RobLewis; 03-26-2007 at 03:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And, if Kodak does get out of film sales entirely, you can get color film from Ilford?

Well, if Kodak does get out of film sales, you can bet that posts like Dave's are at the root of it. Spread things around a bit! I buy both.

PE

I agree with Photo Engineer.

Until the fateful day arrives, we really don't know who will be "The Last Man Standing" when it comes to Kodak or Ilford providing us with film, especially B&W. So until then, I continue to buy from both Kodak and Ilford, choosing my favorite products from each, until only one of them remains.

My only regret is that I cannot possibly buy/use enough film and chemicals to support either, much less both, Kodak and/or Ilford--not to mention other deserving film-related manufacturers whom I'd also like to support.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin