Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,697   Online: 884

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    RobLewis
    You can spend your money for whatever you want, even for Kodak "photo" materials. Honesly, one of the reason I never used Kodak is that I never in my life beleived in Am business. I do not have Am car also. Just always try to avoid it. I made one time mistake and lost $16000 (nice business). Well it just proved my atitude is right (for me at least), so and the price is.
    What I care when buy and spend my money is ratio BUSINESS/LOVE (PASSION).
    This ratio is veeeery different in England, Germany, ..., and US. It is not blaming people in US, for they have not many things in common with US big business condition.
    Here is one example for you: In japan many will die for the company, which is completely opposite to Americans. We know it from stories, from what really happened, from experince. That is how Fuji Film came to be so sucessful (not to talk about other industies in Japan). So it is that ratio I talk about. I like people with passion for what they do and I trust them and buy what they make. It should be even emphased when artists are in the game.

If you still like to buy Kodak materials good luck with that people.

www.Leica-R.com
    Last edited by Daniel_OB; 03-27-2007 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Daniel OB-
    I tend to be very skeptical about not only American businesses, but all profit-driven entities.
    Not to hijack this forum- it is after all about Kodak and Canada distributers...
    but I think we all have that feeling that we'd rather spend our money on 'companies that care'... but our actions don't always follow that course.
    Example- Exxon Mobil. Remember the Valdez? Have they even began to pay their share of the clean-up costs? Yet, every quarter they report record earnings, etc... We have a very short memory on a lot of issues.

I would be cautious in saying that this is an American business phenomenon. Anywhere in the world that a corporation has to answer to shareholders, who expect maximum profit, this type of thing can and does happen.

Now be nice- or Bush will bring Democracy to Canada

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I also found out by this lab TMAX films in 120 were discontinued as well. So add that to the list.

Ignore this. The lab was incorrect in this info as I called Kodak and they said its not the case and is still available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    R.Lewis
    I said:
    "... with US big business condition
    When omit BIG it means no "shareholders". And it is a point. No BIG business within any art form is possible ever (no statistic, no predictible results). Kodak went wrong way for reasons.... and got big. They pay the bill now but as I know when money loose comes own childrens are out of question....
    Now you see who are you are supporting. Even from your post I can concude you do what you do not like, you feed bloody sharesholders that have nothing in common with our photography any more.
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't see Fuji doing the same things and making the same mistakes as Kodak, and yet both companies are huge players in the photography world, especially in film-based markets. Anyone care to tell me what's the difference?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    I don't see Fuji doing the same things and making the same mistakes as Kodak, and yet both companies are huge players in the photography world, especially in film-based markets. Anyone care to tell me what's the difference?
    Also, Fugi Photo Film Co., Ltd. is ranked number 227 by revenues in Global Fortune 500 directory....23.6 billion.

"Mistakes" of course are a matter of interpretation
    ..Kodak is on its announced course and plan of action and market strategy....it is delivering what is said it would...

Bloomberg Reports/Kodak reports first profits in nine quarters from revenue from photo kiosks and savings from cutting jobs. Sales fell 9%..Digital revenue fell.

Kodak installed kiosks that print d@#% photos in all Wal-Mart stores in the U.S. and eliminated more than 23,000 jobs...

Kodak is the biggest US seller of d*&^% cameras, docks, printers,...

Job cuts include 10,900 in manufacturing and 6200 in photo finishing...

(digital revenues fell)

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...rg/bxkodak.php
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 03-27-2007 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Also, Fugi Photo Film Co., Ltd. is ranked number 227 by revenues in Global Fortune 500 directory....23.6 billion.

"Mistakes" of course are a matter of interpretation
    ..Kodak is on its announced course and plan of action and market strategy....it is delivering what is said it would...

Bloomberg Reports/Kodak reports first profits in nine quarters from revenue from photo kiosks and savings from cutting jobs. Sales fell 9%..Digital revenue fell.

Kodak installed kiosks that print d@#% photos in all Wal-Mart stores in the U.S. and eliminated more than 23,000 jobs...

Kodak is the biggest US seller of d*&^% cameras, docks, printers,...

Job cuts include 10,900 in manufacturing and 6200 in photo finishing...

(digital revenues fell)

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...rg/bxkodak.php

Fuji is laying off not thousands but TENS of thousands now world-wide.

Isn't it just possible that Kodak is getting picked on because as a publicly-traded entity in the USA it is obliged to publish this information in the English-speaking press?

FujiFilm does not often make press releases in the English-speaking press.

Also, I spent SIX years doing materials science research for Japanese corporate sponsors in grad school and my first several years in the workforce ('94- late '99) and you have got things aboslutely f***ed with regard to what the motivation is of any Japanese corporation.

Like any other corporate entity it exists solely for the purpose of satisfying stockholders. There is nary a speck of idealism. None.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Fuji is laying off not thousands but TENS of thousands now world-wide.

Isn't it just possible that Kodak is getting picked on because as a publicly-traded entity in the USA it is obliged to publish this information in the English-speaking press?

FujiFilm does not often make press releases in the English-speaking press.

Also, I spent SIX years doing materials science research for Japanese corporate sponsors in grad school and my first several years in the workforce ('94- late '99) and you have got things aboslutely f***ed with regard to what the motivation is of any Japanese corporation.

Like any other corporate entity it exists solely for the purpose of satisfying stockholders. There is nary a speck of idealism. None.
    Dave - my apologies for attirbuting Daniels' sentiments to yours. Mea culpa...

Disengaging socio-political mode now

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    they do what they gotta do
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    R.Lewis
    I said:
    "... with US big business condition
    When omit BIG it means no "shareholders". And it is a point. No BIG business within any art form is possible ever (no statistic, no predictible results). Kodak went wrong way for reasons.... and got big. They pay the bill now but as I know when money loose comes own childrens are out of question....
    Now you see who are you are supporting. Even from your post I can concude you do what you do not like, you feed bloody sharesholders that have nothing in common with our photography any more.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Daniel:

I think you might be surprised at how many rank and file employees of Kodak are/were shareholders of Kodak. They used to have a very active employee share purchase plan. They may still have such a plan, but I don't know, because my information is somewhat dated.

Matt

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin