Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,260   Online: 864

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think a good course of action would be to petition Kodak, via email to, to remove or lower their minimums.

If someone will supply me with appropriate contacts within Kodak I will set it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you John for some clear thinking. The idea of a petition for lowering minimum orders for smaller retailers is a really good one.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    I think a good course of action would be to petition Kodak, via email to, to remove or lower their minimums.

If someone will supply me with appropriate contacts within Kodak I will set it up.

John here is the contact I listed earlier. In speaking with him at PMA he was most enthusiastic about Kodak film and the future of Kodak film products....He might be on the road...

scott.disabato@kodak.com

Marketing Manager
    Professional Film
    Photographer Trade Relations

Thanks
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 03-28-2007 at 06:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have never heard of such a requirement, and I seriously doubt Kodak is imposing from the factory this requirement. Rather...it just might be that a dealer would have to order a large quantity to get free shipping from Kodak, or the lowest price point. Never-the-less I know NO regional dealer that (in the USA) would stock 1000 rolls of anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    John here is the contact I listed earlier. In speaking with him at PMA he was most enthusiastic about Kodak film and the future of Kodak film products....He might be on the road...

scott.disabato@kodak.com

Marketing Manager
    Professional Film
    Photographer Trade Relations

Thanks
    Thank you sir. May I have another -- anyone?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When my lab tried to get an account with Kodak they wanted a firm $25K commitment and wanted to see company financials... just to buy their products, not even looking for credit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there anyone out there that has documents that clearly state what Kodak's policies are with regard to retail outlets and professional film? I will happily organize an email campaign, but it won't do much good if we are ignorant of the facts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I have never heard of such a requirement, and I seriously doubt Kodak is imposing from the factory this requirement. Rather...it just might be that a dealer would have to order a large quantity to get free shipping from Kodak, or the lowest price point. Never-the-less I know NO regional dealer that (in the USA) would stock 1000 rolls of anything.
    It may be a practice of the Canadian distributor.

Most smaller USA retailers were, until quite recently, getting their Kodak B&W film "grey market" (i.e. the stuff manufactured outside the USA) so I don't think this was a factor. That may have changed.

But I would be all for abolishing minimums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Art,
    I find the mind set of many on APUG regarding Kodak to be such hypocrisy. This same group also suffers from selective memory, ignorance and a fair lack of maturity. Agfa is gone in large part to mismanagement -- where's the anger over this? Fuji is a brutal competitor with no higher ethics than any large US corp. They get that halo because the sheep are buying the PR.

Ilford gets a halo and as far as I can tell they actually deserve it.

Kodak produces more film and a larger variety than any other manufacturer. Their product line, which was pretty damn good, has been improved. Did I mis the countless posts and threads thanking Kodak?

I don't mean to say that Kodak is perfect or that they do and say some really stupid things, but I don't see the value in the magnification. What are these folks going to do when Kodak stops producing film? I can hear them say "I told you so", when they should be saying (in a child's voice), "And I help'd!"

Excellent post. Simply put, I support each manufacturer that makes one or more products that appeal to me by purchasing those same products.

I practice analog photographic activism by purchasing from retailers like J&C, Fotoimpex, and Freestyle that have, demonstrably, made special efforts to ensure that a wide range of analog photographic products remain available to me. And, yes, this includes products (e.g. Tri-X) that I can find cheaper at places like B&H and Adorama as well as the rarer products distributed by J&C, etc. If I have to eat 50 cents per roll of Tri-X...so be it.

I have nothing against FujiFilm. But they are no different than Kodak and proof of that lies in the fact that their blimps are now slathered with the motto "FujiFilm Means Digital".

And I quite agree that Ilford and Simon Galley have been simply wonderful. I buy qutie a bit of HP5+ these days, too.
    Last edited by aldevo; 03-28-2007 at 11:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    It may be a practice of the Canadian distributor.

Most smaller USA retailers were, until quite recently, getting their Kodak B&W film "grey market" (i.e. the stuff manufactured outside the USA) so I don't think this was a factor. That may have changed.

But I would be all for abolishing minimums.
    I truly do not think this is true. Most camera stores have purchased directly from Kodak, or a jobber..film intended for USA consumption. (if in the USA). It is only the large mail-order vendors such as B&H that have offered "grey market" product. Starting a "direct to Kodak" lab account is different from a retail store account for materials. Kodak may have a first time minimum order to establish an account, but I can almost guarantee you that once established you can order much smaller quantities. I remember years ago, if a photo lab (not retail store) wanted to purchase materials direct from Kodak, they had to have a certain volume of requirements to be able to do it...but that is a lab, not a store selling merchandise. I know the local (to me) camera store, which is a regional chain can special order one box of sheet film, or a brick of 35mm or roll film (20 rolls).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin