Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,350   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

News from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello everyone!

My name is Edimilson (please call me Ed, for the sake of simplification). Iím a 34 year-old Brazilian male. I have recently acquired a Meopta Magnifax 4 and have just begun to make my own prints. I thought it might interest you to know about the availability of black and white photography materials in my city. Since Portuguese is my native language, please pardon me for any mistakes, particularly regarding technical terms.
    Now to the availability of black and white photographic materials:
    I have been doing black and white since 2005. It was never a problem to find black and white film. Of course itís necessary to know where to go, since only specialized stores (about half a dozen) offer such materials. As to 35 mm film, itís easy to find Kodak Tri-X, both in the original cassettes and bulk film already loaded into used cassettes. One also finds Fuji Neopan and Ilford HP5 and sometimes HP4. As to 120 film, itís also easy to get Tri-X at the stores mentioned. One also finds Ilford HP5, but thatís less common.
    Regarding chemicals, itís easier to buy them than I expected. It seems that Kodak products are the most abundant. Surprisingly, though, I found Foma chemicals at a particular store. Only film and paper developers and fixers though. Nothing special like the Foma sepia toner was available.
    Finally, Ilford paper is available in different types and sizes, but I was astonished to see other brands being offered. Just two days ago I saw Ilford, Foma, Oriental and one package of what seemed to be Agfa paper (!?). It was a red package. Iíll look into it next time I drop by that store.
    Well, thatís what I had to report. Hope it sounds like good news.
    By the way, Iíd like to say that Iíve been learning a lot from visiting the Apug forums, which are great. I intend to participate more actively in the future, probably bothering you guys with typical newbie questions .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Ed (Edimilson). It's always interesting to find out about analogue photography in different countries around the world.

Great first post,

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's always interesting to hear about things photographic from countries we do not hear from often. Thanks for joining us and congrats on the 1st post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you, Tom and Wayne. I will just add another piece of information: I came to know four young women (in their early twenties, in fact) who own film cameras and do not think of buying digital ones. One of them has just bought a new consumer film camera, as a matter of fact. And they are not the kind of people who read about photography, etc. They say they just don't like the look and the feel, so to speak, of prints made from digital captures. And they also dislike the fact that owners of digital cameras end up not printing most of the photographs taken. The pictures end up remaining in memory cards or PCs instead of being framed and hung on walls, etc. Isn't that curious? I would never expect to find young people actually choosing film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed,

Welcome to APUG!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Ed.

Terrific first post and many thanks for the information. It's always interesting to hear how the film-based photography is doing in other parts of the world than our own little corners.

All the best with the Meopta - may it give you much happiness!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information, Ed. Your English is excellent, by the way.

mjs

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Next APUG conference definitely needs to be in Rio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
    Next APUG conference definitely needs to be in Rio

I'll drink to that!

And warmest greetings to Ed.

Cheers,

R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard Ed, good to hear film and related products are available in Brazil.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin