Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 771

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Foma films appear blue if you don't give a proper pre-wet before the development cycle. I use their 200 extensively and not a single sheet has been blue by the time it comes out of the fix.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The blue seems to be in the rollfilm base.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes I forgot to precise that 120 films are blue. I don't know the others...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Well I can't answer in a sure way, but I can tell you something.

A R&D departement was built with the association of Bergger, Moersch and Fotohuis. The goal: to replace all Forte and Made by Forte products. I don't know if Bergger products were re labelled Forte ones, but if these products are now made in another plant, it will need a few technical development, to get the closer as possible to forte products.
    My fear is about film. I don't know if they will be Foma films or real new films. But it will be easy to see it: Foma Films are blue!
    Thank you, that's good to know. I feel very confident, based on personal experience, that Bergger's BPF 100/200 films were identical to Fortepan 100 and 200. A BPF 400 film was also marketed in some parts of the world, but I never used it. It has been suggested that most Bergger papers had Forte counterparts, but I have not used Bergger papers extensively and cannot comment.

It has been suggested that Foma's ISO 100 and 800 films (the latter now discontinued) made extensive use of Agfa's APX technology. I do not have enough personal experience with Foma films to form an opinion on this matter.

We will have to wait and see what the Fotohuis/Moresch/Bergger alliance can deliver. I, for one, am very grateful they are making the effort.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Aldevo, I agree with you on a point: BRF200 =Fortepan 200, I can add that BRF 400= Fortepan 400. But I am sure: BRF 100 is NOT Fortepan 100. They are very different. They do not answer in a similar way to colours, and Forte 100 is much more grainy (grain is the same as old very fast film, quite like recording...)

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aldevo, I agree with you on a point: BRF200 =Fortepan 200, I can add that BRF 400= Fortepan 400. But I am sure: BRF 100 is NOT Fortepan 100. They are very different. They do not answer in a similar way to colours, and Forte 100 is much more grainy (grain is the same as old very fast film, quite like recording...)
    You must be correct. In fact, Bergger's recommended developing times for BRF 100 are different than those published by Forte for Fortepan 100. Clearly different films.

Fortepan 100 is, as you state, very grainy. Curiously, my experience with BRF 100 was that it was also very grainy.

I last used BRF 100 at least five years ago (it is not often available in the USA). I suppose it's possible that Bergger originally had Forte manufacture this film only to switch to another producer.

In any case, you must be correct that in 2007 they are very different films.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    In fact BRF 100 did not exist in Europ before summer 2006. Maybe they use to deal with forte, but film was very bad quality. So they may have turned to other manufacturer. I don't know which one. It may not be Foma because the base of the film is so much different than fomapan 100. Ex-Orwo filmotec? Efke? Agfa Gevaert? I don't know... And Gerard doesn't want to tell me

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In fact BRF 100 did not exist in Europ before summer 2006. Maybe they use to deal with forte, but film was very bad quality. So they may have turned to other manufacturer. I don't know which one. It may not be Foma because the base of the film is so much different than fomapan 100. Ex-Orwo filmotec? Efke? Agfa Gevaert? I don't know... And Gerard doesn't want to tell me
    I think Gerard can be forgiven. He's probably plenty busy again these days.

Yes, both BRF 100 and 400 are relatively new. Yet, I'm certain there was a Bergger-labeled ISO 100 film available in the 1990s. Bergger 135 and 120 film bases are not imprinted with the product name a la Kodak or Ilford so it's difficult to be 100% certain what film was used - unless careful notes are kept.

If I remember correctly, the original products were manufactured by Guilleminot up until around 1992. The name returned around 1995 when Bergger products appeared (Bergger = Boucher + Gerard) in the form of products manufactured by Forte and others. In any case, Bergger has quite a "legend" surrounding it - but even today nobody seems to know the whole story. Except Boucher and Gerard.

I believe I last used the ISO 100 film around late 1999 and it might have been outdated stock. In any case, it was given to me by an overseas friend and I did not purchase it from a retailer in the USA. The film was sent to be in the foil wrappers (no box) so there was no expiration date available.

FilmoTec certainly sounds like a logical source.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin