Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,868   Online: 931

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Bergger Products

Hi all,

I asked for Mr Gerard about the availability of Bergger product in the future, due tu the forte closure.

He told me that none of his products will be discontinued, because of a materiel transfer in another plant, and because of the knowledge of people in this new plant (probably Foma).

We can even guess a better quality of films because of a better quality control in Foma than in Forte.

But I think products "made by Foma", even if they have the same specifications as the one "made by forte", will be a little different.

Aurelien
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's good news, many thanks for the update. I look forward to testing them.

Barry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Having done comparison on Forte papers versus Bergger, I say that, FOR ME, they were identical. Just re-badged. So if they switch to Foma (or Slavich as I've heard) it will be a huge change. Even if Foma try to duplicate the now extinct Forte formulas, the product will be wayyyy different.
    I do not trust Mr Gerard comercial hype, as he said to a friend of mine that the 4 boxes of 8x10 film WAS NOT defective at all and HE was the culprit. (all known people (to us) using the same batch of film had trouble...) but as usual, YMMMV ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You all will be surprised what will be possible for an overall R&D order which has been given from our partners Bergger, Moersch and our Fotohuis to keep up some important photo products Europe- and worldwide.

It will be just a matter of time and patience to see the results of a commitment which have been made with a major manufacturer in Europe.

Best regards,

Robert

PS. Whishing everybody a nice Eastern week end!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope the next generation of Bergger products, made by whoever, are wonderful and are around for a long time. I continue to operate on the premise that an expectation that the Forte products will be duplicated is a recipe for disappointment. I plan to evaluate any new product in terms of it's own attributes and not whether or not it's the same as something else.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with jstraw on this, and I hope that the new organization will follow the lead of Kentmere, which has had to refomulate some of their papers as paper base became unavailable--they simply discontinued the product, explained why it had been discontinued, and announced a new product with a new brand name.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My only hope: less curly films... Please Mr Gerard make an effort

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This sounds promising and I am grateful for the update.

Still, I am left with one fundamental question:

Will the replacement products that carry the Bergger name simply be re-labeled versions of the Foma products we can already buy today, or will they be Foma's attempt at attempting to replicate the previous line of Bergger products that until recently were produced by Forte?

The latter case is certainly preferable - though I acknowledge that true duplication of the earlier Forte-produced products would be impossible on a different coating line.

Can anybody answer that question?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well I can't answer in a sure way, but I can tell you something.

A R&D departement was built with the association of Bergger, Moersch and Fotohuis. The goal: to replace all Forte and Made by Forte products. I don't know if Bergger products were re labelled Forte ones, but if these products are now made in another plant, it will need a few technical development, to get the closer as possible to forte products.
    My fear is about film. I don't know if they will be Foma films or real new films. But it will be easy to see it: Foma Films are blue!

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    But it will be easy to see it: Foma Films are blue!
    Not all Foma films are blue. I use Foma 200 in 4x5/5x7/8x10, none are blue.
    Amund

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin