Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,094   Online: 1057

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If I had a solution, I guess I would be eligible for being called a prophet, but I have no solution and I'm not able to see the future. I'm not a prophet.

PE
    Not a prophet? If I recall correctly, prophets have an unhappy history of getting killed (usually by stones) when they bear news that is not well-received in certain quarters.

We'd prefer to keep you around a bit longer to impart some of your emulison-making knowlege. So please don't go this route any time soon!
    Last edited by aldevo; 04-09-2007 at 09:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Admittedly tangential, but are you certain?
    A very substantial portion of the free metal mercury that enters the environment is as a result of degassing from the Earth's crusts and oceans.

Much more information is available here if you're curious:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LuC...NysBo3DZGwuPP0

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Not a prophet? If I recall correctly, prophets have an unhappy history of getting killed (usually by stones) when they bear news that is not well-received in certain quarters.

We'd prefer to keep you around a bit longer to impart some of your emulison-making knowlege. So please don't go this route any time soon!
    A prophet is often not believed amongst his own people and is often stoned.

I hope I am an exception to this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A prophet is often not believed amongst his own people and is often stoned.

I hope I am an exception to this.

PE
    Yes, though it may seem otherwise when folks who don't have the depth of background you have try to counter your obervations.

Indeed, living in a large city I can claim to knowing several people who consider themselves prophets and are often stoned...though that has little to do with the casting of rocks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well this will not only affect my job, but also one of things I truly love doing. This thread totally added to an already slightly crappy day. I was so excited to get my Phillips 8x10 that I am on the waiting list for, but after reading Photo Engineer's factual information and predictions he has made by it, I am honestly not nearly as excited.............. I am worried and feel hopeless............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also hope to still have my job in the lab I work at for the next 20 years, assuming Im still there by then. Its hard to say how this will all effect photography down the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Edimilson View Post
    I don't have even a fraction of the expertise displayed by you guys in this topic, but the remarks made by Photo Engineer reminded me of something I read about the subject "digital versus film" in the film industry. It has to do with the recent production of Miami Vice, with Colin Farrel. If I remember well, this film was shot digitally and some people argued that its image quality was sometimes lousy. I noticed that some ugly noise was clearly visible in some night scenes.
    I brought this up to raise the following idea: perhaps people in the film industry will also object to giving in to digital and will remain loyal to film. That might, perhaps, ensure the survival of film for longer than the pessimists believe feasible.
    Well, that's just a thought.
    I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. Over the past 15 years there has been a rapid transformation in how films are financed by Hollywood. Bottom line: the studios don't do it any more - they reach out to the CitiGroups, the GE Capitals, etc. And I suspect that they want to contain costs wherever they can...

Given the general tastes of the movie-watching public in the USA, I'm inclined to believe that the advantage that film has over digital in cinematic image quality could go unappreciated...

Of course, there is also a great deal more motion picture film shot than the mass-market distributed stuff we see in the Cineplexes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't quite understand the point of these threads. I think everyone pretty much understands the dire situation with regards to traditional materials. There is nothing any of us can do about it. The choices are pretty obvious. You either buy a large supply of film and paper and freeze it or you continue to use materials as always and when the day comes they are no longer available you move onto something else. I can't afford to buy a lifetime supply of materials so I buy film and paper as I use it and when the day comes it is either no longer available or to expensive for my budget I will learn collodion so I can still use my 8x10 and 11x14 cameras (lest they become very expensive door stops) and get a nice DSLR and Epson printer.

For me the possible or probable demise of analogue photography is not worth losing sleep over anymore. I still think film and paper will be available from someone, somewhere for a long time. The questions will be, can I afford such a specialty product, and will it have the quality I am used to?
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn View Post
    I don't quite understand the point of these threads. I think everyone pretty much understands the dire situation with regards to traditional materials. There is nothing any of us can do about it. The choices are pretty obvious. You either buy a large supply of film and paper and freeze it or you continue to use materials as always and when the day comes they are no longer available you move onto something else. I can't afford to buy a lifetime supply of materials so I buy film and paper as I use it and when the day comes it is either no longer available or to expensive for my budget I will learn collodion so I can still use my 8x10 and 11x14 cameras (lest they become very expensive door stops) and get a nice DSLR and Epson printer.

For me the possible or probable demise of analogue photography is not worth losing sleep over anymore. I still think film and paper will be available from someone, somewhere for a long time. The questions will be, can I afford such a specialty product, and will it have the quality I am used to?
    A good post and certainly a reasonable viewpoint.

The present concerns surrounding the continued availability of analog photographic materials should not be ignored by those presently using DSLRs and inkjet printers. Or those that may turn to them in the future.

It has been opined by some and with increasing volume of late (e.g. Dirck Halstead) that dedicated still photography is going to be extinct in a couple decades as it is simply ridden over roughshod by larger trends in the convergence of consumer electronics. I can remember an article in a British photographic magazine about two years that queried product planners from Canon, Olympus, Sony, and Nikon where the digital imaging market was going and - with the exception of the Nikon rep - they left me with the impression that pictorial photography would be recuced to the harvest of single images from video cameras in the not-so-distant future. And all agreed that the reflection print was just about dead in their estimation.

We all think of Pentax, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, and Nikon as camera manufacturers but Canon's largest business is office equipment (e.g. copiers), Fuji still makes the lion share of its profits off television production equipment, Olympus' core business has as much to do with microscopy and scientific instruments as photography, and Pentax is, increasingly, a manufacturer of medical imaging diagnostic equipment.

Yes, I know that people have been predicting the demise of still, pictorial photography since the advent of afforeable video recorders in the late 70s. This time, though, the threat is different.

So, increasingly, the threat I perceive posed by digital is something larger than just the substitution of the memory card for film. It seems to have evolved into an assualt on all parts of what I perceive as the photographic process from visualization, to output, to presentation.

I'm not sure anybody saw that coming. Let's hope for a backlash!
    Last edited by aldevo; 04-09-2007 at 11:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordke View Post
    Well this will not only affect my job, but also one of things I truly love doing. This thread totally added to an already slightly crappy day. I was so excited to get my Phillips 8x10 that I am on the waiting list for, but after reading Photo Engineer's factual information and predictions he has made by it, I am honestly not nearly as excited.............. I am worried and feel hopeless............
    Don't get too depresed! If there's one thing APUG has convinced me of, it's that there is an increasing number of people who recongize the issues the market faces and that some retailers are getting increasingly involved with manufacturers to ensure their products find a market.

So, yes, there are challenges ahead...but the outlook isn't hopeless.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin