Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,528   Online: 865

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Mercury occurs naturally at low level in the environment as mercuric oxide or other mercury salts. It is not found in the air except as dust from natural ore deposits, and never as a free metal.
    forest fires also release a lot of mercury into the atmosphere.

Wayne

Shooter
    35mm
    With all the talk of gloom and death of analog photography, how many years do you predict it'll take before it's impossible for us to buy fresh supply of film (C-41 and B&W)? I would like to teach my kids (hopefully in 5 to 6 years' time) analog photography, and let them grow up shooting film if possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    With all the talk of gloom and death of analog photography, how many years do you predict it'll take before it's impossible for us to buy fresh supply of film (C-41 and B&W)? I would like to teach my kids (hopefully in 5 to 6 years' time) analog photography, and let them grow up shooting film if possible.
    Enjoy shooting film yourself for now and if things start looking real bleak you could always buy a small supply of film, paper and chemistry and store it untill they get older. At least then you could give them a small taste of what film based photography in the 20th century was about.

And if film does completely go away? Then it will provide a good lesson on how all material things, no matter how much we love them are transient and fleeting.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    As I have repeatedly said, "I am not a prophet".

OTOH, I really don't care as I can make my own paper and film. And, I'm doing my part by teaching others as much as I can in the time left to me.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, to be a little upbeat (and perhaps overly optimistic) I've been speaking with a worker at Vistek (a large retailer of photography supplies in Toronto) about film and it's future. She commented that many people have abandoned d*g*tal and have returned to film for various reasons. I'm hopeful that there will be a continuance of this trend so that there be sufficient numbers of individuals to support the film industry.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem is, the folks who used to burn 20 rolls of film on a single shoot all went digital and aren't coming back.

Those folks accounted for a lot of pro film volume, I'm sure.

I have a bad feeling all the folks who went back to film are just going to end up pissed like the rest of us when it all falls apart.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    ...when it all falls apart.
    It won't fall apart. Things will be scaled down.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    The problem is, the folks who used to burn 20 rolls of film on a single shoot all went digital and aren't coming back.

Those folks accounted for a lot of pro film volume, I'm sure.

I have a bad feeling all the folks who went back to film are just going to end up pissed like the rest of us when it all falls apart.
    I agree that most volume users have gone d*g*tal will not be coming back but it's good to see that there are folks that can see the merits of film. As for industry collapsing and the emotional tribulations that it will entail, my viewpoint is that it won't be as bad as it some people have portrayed it. Personally, I think it will be more of a rough landing than an outright crash but I have no basis for this opinion for other than gut feelings and instinct.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, film is still a billion plus industry...fading for sure, but nonetheless, sizeable....so we'll still have it around for awhile...not time to panic yet.

The digital camera market has started to become mature," says J.P. Morgan analyst Hisashi Moriyama. ?Who's to say, Russia and China are big markets...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott;

That is the point though. A billion is going to Kodak but 99% is motion picture, so are we the tail that wags the dog? Or will we be discarded? IDK.

And to tell how much Ilford or EFKE are making one would have to look at their profit and loss statements.

PE

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin