Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,720   Online: 941

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawkjw View Post
    After hearing the news posted Saturday on Silverprint's site, I have been very concerned about the possibility of Kodak discontinuing the infrared films. Being suspicious of that information, I decided best to not consider the opera over until the fat lady sings!

I just spoke with a representative at Kodak who informed me that she had no such information pertaining to US production & distribution. She mentioned that the UK and other international regions may have had discontinued distribution.

My hopes are that the UK and other EU photographers are able to get as much Kodak film as they want. The more people purchasing infrared films, the more Kodak will see a demand and continue the production. Personally, I needed to order film, so am just getting more than I really needed or can afford right now.

So, if all this little scare did was create a bubble in Kodak's numbers for the month of April, then Happy Easter, Kodak!

By the way, I am really glad that this group exists, and plan to post my bio and gallery soon.

Cheers!
    James C. Williams
    Not so fast. In my experience reps are kept on a pretty short leash regarding the discontinuance of products.

Agfa USA reps made similar pronouncements in 2004 when APX was discontinued in 120. They broadcast a message that "we have no knowledge of its discontinuance but Agfa reserves the right to change its product availability from one country to another". And they continued to do so for six months after Leverkusen cut their last rolls...

I would talk to your rep again in a few weeks time and still be prepared to make that purchase if HIE is of interest.

It may well be that Kodak DOES intend to continue producing HIE, but I think it makes a good deal of sense to wait for more information. Silverprint has a pretty good record of being on the ball...

In the meantime I would call Freestyle and other specialized retailers carrying the film to see if they have heard anything.
    Last edited by aldevo; 04-09-2007 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    We have two threads running on this item with diametrically different stories. Depending on which you read you are happy or sad. Can the moderators at least combine the thread. This may help us get to the bottom of where the truth lies more quickly.

Whose mole is further up the Kodak hierachy, I wonder?

In the U.K we have a tradition of pantomime in which the audience is encouraged to shout the opposite to whatever the villain is saying as in : Oh yes he is and the reply "Oh no he isn't."

This was meant to be fun for the kids. I could never see the enjoyment in it myself not even as a kid nor in real life situations generating similar uncertainty.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I think the threads should be combined.

After making my previous post, I spoke with a retailer in the Boston area and they informed me that HIE is being phased out a la what SilverPrint has already reported.

My source isn't a mole at Kodak - just somebody working a film sales counter in a good-sized photographic supply store. They aren't particularly significant in the analog world but they were big enough to be given fair warning when AgfaPhoto USA went belly-up in 2005.

I'll have the opportunity to speak to more reps from this retailer at the "Photographica" show this weekend in Wakefield, MA.

I really do hope that information I've been given is wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Reps, camera stores ...

Anyone* wanna just call Kodak directly?

*I would volunteer, but I don't use IR.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://wwwca.kodak.com/global/en/pro...19.22.14&lc=en

I knew I paid these high priced consultants for something.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Reps, camera stores ...

Anyone wanna just call Kodak directly?
    I did. I didn't get a warm and cosy feeling about the future of HIE, but I'm waiting for another call to be returned.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    http://wwwca.kodak.com/global/en/pro...19.22.14&lc=en

I knew I paid these high priced consultants for something.

Regards, Art.
    Perhaps you didn't pay them enough

If you scroll to the bottom of the publication, you'll see it was last updated in December, 2002 - which is when HIE was discontinued in sheet film sizes.

Shooter
    35mm

The flip side of stocking up

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawkjw View Post
    So, if all this little scare did was create a bubble in Kodak's numbers for the month of April, then Happy Easter, Kodak!

Cheers!
    James C. Williams
    The other side of that is, that the following months will see an extended slump in sales from those who stocked up not doing their normal reordering on normal schedule thinking the danger is over.
    Kodak will see that slump and make the big corperate decision that doesn't get reversed and infrared will be gone for real.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Perhaps you didn't pay them enough

If you scroll to the bottom of the publication, you'll see it was last updated in December, 2002 - which is when HIE was discontinued in sheet film sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Consultant in Kodak
    "Kodak U.S.A. person" says no plans to end 35mm. May end distribution to U.K.. Appears that Silverprint's notice came from a distributer, not Kodak. That link above is several years old, but still valid.
    Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I'm starting to stockpile HIE, regardless. I've got too many things to do with it while it's still around to be stuck with the whims of Kodak......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin