Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,985   Online: 847

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Infrared *NOT DISCONTINUED*!

After hearing the news posted Saturday on Silverprint's site, I have been very concerned about the possibility of Kodak discontinuing the infrared films. Being suspicious of that information, I decided best to not consider the opera over until the fat lady sings!

I just spoke with a representative at Kodak who informed me that she had no such information pertaining to US production & distribution. She mentioned that the UK and other international regions may have had discontinued distribution.

My hopes are that the UK and other EU photographers are able to get as much Kodak film as they want. The more people purchasing infrared films, the more Kodak will see a demand and continue the production. Personally, I needed to order film, so am just getting more than I really needed or can afford right now.

So, if all this little scare did was create a bubble in Kodak's numbers for the month of April, then Happy Easter, Kodak!

By the way, I am really glad that this group exists, and plan to post my bio and gallery soon.

Cheers!
    James C. Williams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for looking into this!! You just made my day!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=nighthawkjw;452919

So, if all this little scare did was create a bubble in Kodak's numbers for the month of April, then Happy Easter, Kodak!

By the way, I am really glad that this group exists, and plan to post my bio and gallery soon.

Cheers!
    James C. Williams[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the verified info. I did order 5 rolls from calumet today. So I did my part to give Kodak a boost. I love the look of HIE, and digital simply is no replacement. I will try to support Kodak's film emulsion as long as it's available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's always great news when we learn that any film is *NOT DISCONTINUED!*, thanks for checking this out.

Can I digress a bit here and ask what are the commecial applications of IR film? I've seen examples of it as used in "art" photography - but figure that it's production is justified by commercial demand.

I'm simply curious, who are big users of IR film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aerial and possibly survey/landscape architecture comes to mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It used to be military reconaissance and gov't forestry. It can differentiate between live (light) and dead (dark) vegetation. They've gone digi for the most part, although I know at least one USFS group struggling to keep Kodak's products available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I'm not mistaken, IR also cuts through haze, making it superior for survey work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Color IR has similar uses in medical photography - it is used at times to diagnose healthy vs dead tissue, among other things. This is one reason why the Johns Hopkins Hospital photo lab was one of the last holdouts for processing E-4 chemistry (the old EIR was the last transparency film to still require E-4). They used to make their lab available to the general public to try and sustain the volume needed to keep a reliable processing line going.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    It's always great news when we learn that any film is *NOT DISCONTINUED!*, thanks for checking this out.

Can I digress a bit here and ask what are the commecial applications of IR film? I've seen examples of it as used in "art" photography - but figure that it's production is justified by commercial demand.

I'm simply curious, who are big users of IR film?
    The Kodak IR publication - lists many uses including law enforcement; detecting altered documents, forgery detection and antique/art work inspection. These inspection meothods use both transmitted and refected IR

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    It used to be military reconaissance and gov't forestry. It can differentiate between live (light) and dead (dark) vegetation. They've gone digi for the most part, although I know at least one USFS group struggling to keep Kodak's products available.
    Not just the USFS. The Michigan DNR Forest Management Division, where I work, has used 70mm color IR film in a pair of Rollei 6003's for over ten years. Unforunately Kodak has seen fit to discontinue the 70mm version of CIR, but they still make it in the 9" X 9". format. While digi CIR is pretty good, it can't hold a candle to a 9" X 9" color infrared contact print.

Jim Bielecki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin