Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,244   Online: 964

View Poll Results: My Hoarding Policy

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hoard film.

72 63.72%
  • I hoard paper.

32 28.32%
  • I hoard chemistry.

23 20.35%
  • I may hoard someday.

34 30.09%
  • I will never join the hoarding horde.

9 7.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess I do kind of hoard gold chloride and amidol. I bought 25g of gold chloride at a pretty good price when I saw the price starting to shoot up--enough for about 300 8x10" albumen prints. I got 6 Kg of amidol with the Chinese purchase. At 8g/l of developer that should last a while.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often buy twice the amount of film needed to do a job, and hoard the left over. When I have a darkroom, which is not the case now, I buy film and chems as needed and in bulk (cubes of bleach and dev). When I find a good price I buy as much as I can afford.

Hoarding is a tough term to apply for me. When I'm shooting which hasn't been much lately, I shoot in large quantities. What I have hoarded doesn't generally hangout for long.

Currently I have over 1000 sheets of 4x5 and only a few hundred rolls of 120/220. Normally I would expect to have burned through all the rolls, as much as twice or thrice over, and most of if not all of the sheets by year's end. It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wouldn't call my little stash of 4x5 film 300-400 sheets and maybe 140 rolls of 120 mostly APX100/400 RSX50 hoarding but have aquired 3 pound of Amidol which will last a long time. Will be buying more dry chemicals whenever possible.
    If i had the money i would buy a new freezer and fill it with film, paper and chemicals.

jan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think hoarding is the wrong term. Stockpiling is more like it. I have to stock a lot of materials because like a lot of you out there, there is no local or regional vendor that stocks anything. I think I have about 2000 sheets of 4x5 b/w for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I hoard models? Heaven knows when they'll run out ... :o

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to buy some more Fortia to have for a rainy day (well, sunny, rather), but most of the time you have to keep some sort of stockpile. I have 20 rolls of Kodak Max, but that's not hoarding so much as it was really cheap at the time.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Books.

Lord knows that once the internet dominates the world, publishing will die.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    As a NYC bachelor, I find it advantageous to have my freezer filled with film. That way I can show it to potential girlfriends and say, "Look. There isn't any room in there for heads or limbs. I can't possibly be a psycho killer."
    I think I'll try this as a pick-up line.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I think hoarding is the wrong term. Stockpiling is more like it. I have to stock a lot of materials because like a lot of you out there, there is no local or regional vendor that stocks anything. I think I have about 2000 sheets of 4x5 b/w for now.

I think the terms are mostly interchangeable. I guess I choose the somewhat more loaded term because it intentionally reflects the rather more defensive posture related to "doomsday" scenarios, as distinct from merely maintaining an inventory.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I guess I choose the somewhat more loaded term because it intentionally reflects the rather more defensive posture related to "doomsday" scenarios, as distinct from merely maintaining an inventory.
    With that explanation, the term is perfect for most APUGers.

Regards, Art. (Can I change my hoard to a harem? A guy can dream, right?)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin