Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,942   Posts: 1,585,740   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last one gone

Shooter
    Multi Format

Last one gone

Last shop in Sarajevo and as I know in whole country (Bosnia and Herzegovina) which had b/w films/papers/chemistry (EFKE) is closed and premises will be used as shop for cosmetic products.

One can buy colour negative films, Kodak Gold, Fuji Superia in one hour photo labs, but that is all.

You can buy slide/pro negative/b/w from professionals who buy for themselves and not use all they bought, but you have to know those people privately.

So, if anyone ever wants to come here, bring your film with you. Except Fuji Superia, they are easy (relatively, in Sarajevo no problems, other, smaller towns, at your own risk) to find and are fresh.

One hour labs use fresh chemistry, mainly Frontier machines, so no worry for processing colour negatives or make prints from films (negative colour and b/w, slides) but only 35mm (120 colour negative can be processed but not printed). Bigger, sorry, can't be done (maybe to scan them on flatbed scanners in labs and print, but I wouldn't do that).

If you want to process b/w and have silver gelatine b/w print, process slide or process bigger than 120 negative, and print from negatives other than 35mm, muct find someone who does that for him/herself and ask to do that for you, or find somewhere else to do that (Croatia for example) or wait and do it when return to your places.

Bigger than A4 format prints are possibile only in labs which have photo plotters, not everywhere. A4 format is possibile virtually everywhere.

No alternative processes, hand made b/w/hand made RA4/Ilfochrome, push/pull developing, or other "exotic" requests are possibile

Slide developing, b/w developing only in one lab, but I wouldn't try that. Small demand means old chemistry, so...

Only one man repairs cameras/lenses. He is great, but you have to know him or someone who knows him. No repair services in country.

Maybe you can find some of slide or b/w products and/or lab services for them in some towns, but it is on your own risk!

You have been warned
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to hear about the situation. It sounds to be very bad for those analogue photographers living in Bosnia. It sounds as if it is 35mm colour negs and mini-labs for printing and processing or nothing.

What will you do now and how will you obtain materials for processing and printing?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From first moment I was seriously involved in photography I ordered everything from abroad. Prices here were high, and waiting for delivery is up to 2 months, and you couldn't order everything. For example I could order 35mm EFKE film, but not 120 or other films than EFKE in shop. And only if people in company which is owner of shop are willing to do that. Ironically, name of company is Foto-optik (photo-optic)... So, for years I am buying things from shops out of my country, because I must. As you can see, I am not "touched" with this personally. Saying that, I did buy in that shop from time to time.

But, it is sad because now it would be almost impossibile to tell someone to be analogue photographer, especially to young people. Who will do that if can't buy atleast material if not equipment in his/hers town/country... And that is why I am concerned about situation even if not hit directly.

Real buyers there were studends of academy of art here, for theire photography studies. What will they do now I don't know. University won't buy material for them I think, I am afraid they will all go digi...

Here are small number of analogue photographers. I am only one in my town who is active analogue photographer. All other are imagers, that is use only digi equipment, even if they still have theire "old" analogue equipment somewhere collecting dust...

If in this country is 50 active analogue photographers I would be very surprised. Heck, if here are 10 of us it would be miracle...

Thanks pentaxuser for simpathy
    Last edited by haris; 04-14-2007 at 04:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Haris,

Sorry to hear about the situation. As you said, it is indeed going to be difficult now for young people coming into photography to use film. And I admire your tenacity for sticking to film despite all the difficulties. I would think that most people in your situation would take the "easy" way out and switch to digital. Kudos to you for still using the medium that you love.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you sanjay

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haris, maybe we should organise a photographers' meeting in the Balkans, maybe coupled with an excursion around the area.
    As I have only been as far as Albania, what would be the situation to travel around, crossing two or three countries?
    If we can team up with some people in Serbia, Bulgaria, Albania, etc, it would make for a really interesting adventure.
    If we don't get shot in Kosovo that is.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, arigram, if use aeroplan then simply jump over Kosovo

Not bad idea. But, are you sure we won't start shooting eachother considering past 15 years

Really, Croatia and Serbia are very active in photograhy, but they also going toward digital more and more. Luckilly, there are still people who are at dark side. Bosnia is unfortunatelly lost as far as I know . I don't know other Balkan countries, don't have information. But, if nothing it would be good to see what situation is on Balkan regarding analogue photography. Who knows how many people are active and they don't know how to get in touch with others, and we don't know how to get in touch with them. In my country less than 3% of population use internet, so what is normal way of contact for "Europe" is not working in "other Europe"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The whole point is to actually do shoot each other.
    But using film this time.
    As far as finding other film photographers, if APUG can't help, well, we have to figure out some other way, make it part of the adventure I guess.
    I am personally interested in exploring the culture of the area and meeting the people, not excluding touching on the events and experiences of the past (or not so past) conflict.
    Its just an idea, I don't have the details on my head.

I consider film photographers to be more serious and coupled with the dedication one needs to feed their equipment in places where the supply is problematic, I am interested in joining with those artists.

Maybe we can even get some event going, maybe an exhibition, maybe someone sponsoring it... there are many posibillities there...
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    The whole point is to actually do shoot each other.
    But using film this time.
    As far as finding other film photographers, if APUG can't help, well, we have to figure out some other way, make it part of the adventure I guess.
    I am personally interested in exploring the culture of the area and meeting the people, not excluding touching on the events and experiences of the past (or not so past) conflict.
    Its just an idea, I don't have the details on my head.
    Well, if anyone of you apuggers happen to come to Croatia, I can offer a place to stay for a couple of days - I have a spare guest bedroom, and a relatively large house.
    I'm in Varazdin, some 80km from the capital, Zagreb - so if you come by plane to Zagreb, I can even arrange transport from the airport to Varazdin.

A meeting with analog B&W photographers can be arranged either in Zagreb or in Varazdin - but be prepared for lots of eating and drinking

Photo ops are plentiful, with lots of mediaeval castles and greenery around here, and the Adriatic coast is about 3,5 hours' drive from here, along a very nice and new highway.

A visit to Fotokemika factory could probably also be arranged, as an added bonus

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's a great offer Denis and I am sure to take you up on it if I am around.
    Ok, we have a Croat, a Bosnian and a Greek. Let's see if others hear the call. Maybe we should start a new thread.
    www.arigram.gr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin