Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Antonio Pérez interview in spanish newspaper

The spanish newspaper "El País" has published today an interview to Antonio Pérez in it's economy section.

You can read it for free in:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/econo...lpepieco_5/Tes

As it's in spanish I'll try to translate some points (although surely most of you already knew that). Please forgive my poor english:

"(...) Of our world factories there is only one remaining, very reduced, in Rochester (USA) and another, in UK. Now they are very efficient because, although the film business has decreased, it's still a good business, specially for the cinema."

"What I'm very proud of is that there hasn't been a single interruption of any plant production."

"2005 was the first year in which the digital business beat the film business, how are they now?

In 2007 we'll finish around 80%. And it will be further because film will be stand or it will decrease (...)"

"I continue using film. Although I'm not a representative consumer, because I have a photography study in my house. For snapshots I always use digital. But if I make a portrait of my daughter in an special day, I do it with film. Knowing how to use light, you can achieve marvelous things."

"What will be the future of traditional photography? (free translation, literal translation is "To what will be reduced traditional photography?", but It doesn't sound good to me)

To special cases and people who knows very well how to use a camera. Most people who buy very expensive reflex cameras is using it in automatic mode. I don't know why they spend 1.000 euros and use it in automatic. Digital cameras are going to take most of the market, without doubts. In special moments you'll be able to use other kind of cameras... if you know how to use them."
    Last edited by Jorge Orte Tudela; 04-15-2007 at 11:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing that, it is always good to see people that aren't scared away to digital.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Orte Tudela View Post
    The spanish newspaper "El País" has published today an interview to Antonio Pérez in it's economy section.

You can read it for free in:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/econo...lpepieco_5/Tes

As it's in spanish I'll try to translate some points (although surely most of you already knew that). Please forgive my poor english:

"(...) Of our world factories there is only one remaining, very reduced, in Rochester (USA) and another, in UK. Now they are very efficient because, although the film business has decreased, it's still a good business, specially for the cinema."

"What I'm very proud of is that there hasn't been a single interruption of any plant production."

"2005 was the first year in which the digital business beat the film business, how are they now?

In 2007 we'll finish around 80%. And it will be further because film will be stand or it will decrease (...)"

"I continue using film. Although I'm not a representative consumer, because I have a photography study in my house. For snapshots I always use digital. But if I make a portrait of my daughter in an special day, I do it with film. Knowing how to use light, you can achieve marvelous things."

"What will be the future of traditional photography? (free translation, literal translation is "To what will be reduced traditional photography?", but It doesn't sound good to me)

To special cases and people who knows very well how to use a camera. Most people who buy very expensive reflex cameras is using it in automatic mode. I don't know why they spend 1.000 euros and use it in automatic. Digital cameras are going to take most of the market, without doubts. In special moments you'll be able to use other kind of cameras... if you know how to use them."
    It's hard for me to attack Perez when he's presented in this light (so to speak). Indeed his observations are pretty accurate if I'm correctly reading between the lines:

"Most will be satisfied with automation and digital but film can really give you that little bit extra if you can exploit it".

He doesn't sound like somebody "out to kill film" or who's taking particular pleasure in "bringing down the shutter on Kodak's film division". I certainly hope that market trends and stock market analysts don't oblige him to continue down that road.

I don't envy the man his job, that's for sure, regardless of what he's being paid - and that's considerable. EK is still a company under siege...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Betcha the Fuji CEO uses a digital point and shoot ...

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art;

The Fuji Director of Research uses both. I took his picture with his new Fuji Digital and he was using his new Fuji film camera at the time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be funny if it was a Sony, eh? Well, maybe not.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Betcha the Fuji CEO uses a digital point and shoot ...

Regards, Art.
    Even I have one of those....
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Even I have one of those....
    As do I. It's reassuring that one can venture over to the darkside and yet return...

I use the digital P&S but sparingly now. Otherwise, I suppose it makes a nice, quaint piece of industrial art...and a more than agreeable paper weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my wife a digital P&S as she thought she would like one. She hates it and now I buy her disposable one-shot analog cameras and she loves them. She carries one with her just about everywhere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have also one digital camera. But man I do not use it for photography the same as I do not use my shoes for photography, or also I do not use my pencil to make a photograph. It is nothing wrong to have and to use digital camera if one knows what he is doing, but that so rare case .

www.Leica-R.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin