Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 665

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    In fact, IMHO, all films in sheet would be exellent !
    Why ? Because on 35 mm size, digital is superior, ......

Arrgh!!!!!!!! The "D" word
    :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...Why ? Because on 35 mm size, digital is superior...
    I completely respect this opinion (not hoping to create a debate), but I really think this depends on your criteria. In my opinion d* resolution and sharpness is really just a case of trompe-l'oeil. This is particularly noticeable on any large degree of enlargement. There are no doubt admirable qualities for both. However, it sometimes pains me to think that some would not use 35mm film on the basis of resolution or sharpness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't call it superior but in that format the D word is more convenient and give a faster result for those who have short attention spans. :-)
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Guys !
    Have a look here :
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/zeiss-s...anon-350d.html
    Text is in French, but it is quite interesting .... And images speak for themselves !

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Guys !
    Have a look here :
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/zeiss-s...anon-350d.html
    Text is in French, but it is quite interesting .... And images speak for themselves !

English Translation, courtesy of Google.

Very interesting...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Let's not forget, one box of 8x10" counts for four boxes of 4x5"
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Was delta 400 ever available in sheets? If not, I wonder why not. Perhaps, there is some technical reason similar to that for SFX200?
    Yes, it was my standard sheet film for years until Ilford discontinued it. It still is my standard roll-film for medium format. I'd love to see Ilford bring it back in sheet film. I personally prefer it to Delta 100 which is still available in sheet film. I find the 100's contrast a bit too harsh for my taste.

Larry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dead David,

This is definitely a cost to produce / stock holding issue :

We withdrew it a long time ago XP2 Sheet film as well, because any stock we have to destroy*( stock wise ) by going out of date is subject to a detailed product review. *Yes... we do recover the silver.

As I guess you all know now, on very short runs of any product ( and especially film ) we have high wastage : Run up and run down on the coating machine etc etc.

Regardless, the absolute minimum run would generate about 15,500 boxes of 25 sheets ( 5" x 4" ) based on known sales at withdrawl, and add in the known decline in the market, that would mean the product would surely go out of date before all inventory was sold.

So I see very little chance of a return, but as always I will ensure that it is mentioned in the range team meeting of the marketing functiuon at HARMAN

Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited
    I had no Idea XP2 was made in Sheets, that would make it unique?
    Is it cheaper to recover the silver than to freeze it or sell it cheap?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Ajuk,

Its a quality control measure, when product is finished into sheets it is given a date ( on line ) to use by. As we have to allow time for the product to go through the supply chain and to sell out, we have a 'drop dead' shipping date date ( ex factory ) well ahead of the expiry date, when the product reaches that date it is destroyed and the silver recovered.

The cost to freeze would not be economic, and we would never sell a key film product near its use by date....thats the rules. I think you will find KODAK and FUJI have exactly the same MO

Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Ajuk,

Its a quality control measure, when product is finished into sheets it is given a date ( on line ) to use by. As we have to allow time for the product to go through the supply chain and to sell out, we have a 'drop dead' shipping date date ( ex factory ) well ahead of the expiry date, when the product reaches that date it is destroyed and the silver recovered.

The cost to freeze would not be economic, and we would never sell a key film product near its use by date....thats the rules. I think you will find KODAK and FUJI have exactly the same MO

Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Simon,

I certainly understand the dilemma faced by Ilford and others who have to make large runs of film or paper and then get them off the shelves before "due date."

My question has to do with the way due dates themselves are set. I'm sure I'm not the only photographer who has kept partially full boxes of sheet film lying around in the darkroom for 2-3 years, only to find that it still works just as well as it did when it was fresh.

How are expiration dates established? And given the vast variations in storage conditions, from the time the film or paper leaves your warehouse until it is actually used, are those dates realistic? I know that the manufacturer will always want to err on the conservative side, but I just shot a few remaining sheets of Delta 400 that I bought several years ago, and that had been sitting in my darkroom. I couldn't see any degradation in the images or any fogging. Of course, temperatures remain relatively stable in my darkroom-- roughly 19-23 C. I guess what I'm asking is: is it possible that the expiration dates could be "fudged" a bit from what is theoretically ideal toward the really real lof film life expectancy, and thus make it possible for manufacturers to maintain inventory a bit longer?

Larry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin