Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
Dear Ajuk,

Its a quality control measure, when product is finished into sheets it is given a date ( on line ) to use by. As we have to allow time for the product to go through the supply chain and to sell out, we have a 'drop dead' shipping date date ( ex factory ) well ahead of the expiry date, when the product reaches that date it is destroyed and the silver recovered.

The cost to freeze would not be economic, and we would never sell a key film product near its use by date....thats the rules. I think you will find KODAK and FUJI have exactly the same MO

Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Simon, Thank you for this explanation. If I understand correctly then, you're saying that Delta 400 sheet film (and others) were dropped because too much was sitting in the factory's warehouses after the ex-factory date(s) and therefore had to be destroyed.

I assume that this is due to lack of orders from the distribution channel. If so, it seems like we need a new distribution model. Or, perhaps, new technology and methods could be brought to bear on the problem of predicting demand?

As always, thank you for your participation here.