Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,097   Online: 785

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    firstly, just because there are new products on the shelf doesn't mean they are good or that we even want or need them. So what are you all getting so excited about? The unknown? lol!

next, the point is well made. It is the purchasing public driving demand but it is curious that Ilford, who I believe supplied 60% of the black and white market for materials in the west, are able to see a future in analogue photography.

and thirdly a question. If Kodak believe analogue is dead, then why do they still have an analogue R&D dept?

and fourthly, could it be that the black and white market for film and paper has not shrunk nearly as much as the colour market and in fact, the B&W market was already a niche market before the advent of digital and as such it is never likely to be affected to the same extent as colour and that Kodak have ignored this because they only looked at colour revenues since it was the dominant income stream from their analogue operations. i.e. They consider themselves too big for B&W.
    Last edited by percepts; 04-24-2007 at 05:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is "the shelf" in the research labs. That is a far cry from having a product.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Art;

I may be able to come up with a short list, but one comes to mind. The ISO 25,000 film that Paul Gilman and others invented.

PE

I'd like this, please. Considering pushing Tri-X that far is a lot of fun, having a film that is actually that speed would be interesting to experiment with in bars.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, what is the chance that Kodak would/could ever spin-off the film division to another company?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure that Ilford supplies 60% of the B&W market to the west. Kodak outproduces Ilford with no question and this may include B&W materials. I'm not sure, but I know that Kentmere production is pretty high in paper.

As for a spinoff and having an R&D department... IDK about spinoff, but analog R&D just brought us the new Porta film line. Yes, they do have analog R&D, just not as much as formerly.

I have discussed some of this in the thread "Some thoughts....." See those elsewhere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    PE, what is the chance that Kodak would/could ever spin-off the film division to another company?
    This is now, and to my mind has always been, the key question for a technology that is no longer capable of supporting Kodak in the style to which it had become accustomed...

Ken

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really doubt an "independent" spin-off of Kodak analog film products would ever result in new products. However, it might result in the reintroduction of some existing products that were discontinued. But even that would be a long shot. What would prevent some future "independent" investor from just making the movie film products only? Those are the profitable ones.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I'm not sure that Ilford supplies 60% of the B&W market to the west. Kodak outproduces Ilford with no question and this may include B&W materials. I'm not sure, but I know that Kentmere production is pretty high in paper.

As for a spinoff and having an R&D department... IDK about spinoff, but analog R&D just brought us the new Porta film line. Yes, they do have analog R&D, just not as much as formerly.

I have discussed some of this in the thread "Some thoughts....." See those elsewhere.

PE
    I think Kentmere has had a good UK base for many years but I don't think it had an international market to speak of, especially compared to Ilford. I could be wrong about that but either way, Ilford is much bigger than Kentmere and Ilford has a strong film market which Kentmere doesn't. I suspect Kentmere are enjoying the demise of Kodak paper due to the resulting increase in its profile internationally as people look for alternatives to Kodak papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kentmere products have a good presence in the US.

They were also sold here under other than their brand name. Luminos comes to mind.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a very recent 'call for entry's' for artists and photographers, 'traditional' photographs (i.e. gelatin silver) were categorized as 'alt process' work. I was utterly taken aback at first, and then comforted at that notion that here was our new domain....an alternatative, and well regarded approach to image making.

Is it possible to be flexible in one's orthodoxy??
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin