Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,738   Online: 976

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I have always been surprised (well, disappointed) that Kodak has not leveraged its experience in what everybody else these days calls nanotechnology.

There is a Cologne based `start-up´ company founded by former Agfa people willing to transfer coating techniques up to now only employed in multilayer precision coating of photo materials into totally different spheres. Thus still there are people around knowing the value of `classic´ techniques.

Furthermore I don't understand, as most of us outside the industry, why a major player should not license developments which not seem profitable to them in the foreseeable future to small players which could be able to profitable employ them in small scale productions for a niche market. A small refund would still be better than just keeping things on the shelf (whichever shelf one would consider). Could it be that majors are just too selfcentered?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, considering the remarks here today, I can just add that I cannot discuss any of these in detail in any way. And, if other companies are interested in them they should contact Kodak. OTOH, the patents on mixed packets has expired, so in some cases, I can say that no permission is required.

I should add that since the patents on mixed packets has expired, I would be able to discuss it, but I know little about it as the last coating was being evaluated in the month I was hired at Kodak, and I only saw the results, and never learned the formulas.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really not sure what sort of remarks you were expecting or why the remarks here surprise you. The implication seems to be that our reaction is a disappointment to you. By and large we're consumers with a concern for the future. There's a disconnect between your expectations (which remain opaque to me) and the very predictable, obvious and understandable comments and questions that have been posted.

This sort of cognitive dissonance is very frustrating to me. It would help me if you could help us understand what sort of interaction on this subject you had in mind.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only the early remarks in which people thought an on-the-shelf research item could be zipped into production surprised me. That, as I said earlier was due to my poor phrasing of the OP, and I now understand it in that light and that particular thing has damped out due to our several responses.

The main intent was to show that although Kodak has much information within the research labs, a lot of it will find no home in products due to the gradual demise of analog products as the money and market are not available for the transfer of the technology.

It is serving a purpose as seen in AgX's post indicating other companies interest in Kodak technology if Kodak cannot use it. This may be of value to everyone, so in this regard my OP may have been of some benefit all around.

So, you can consider it (apart from bad wording) an alert to everyone not to expect too much new from Kodak even though a lot of new technology exists and to alert some interested parties to the fact that they might want to see if Kodak has anything of use to them.

In fact, this comment by Jim Weaver was taken totally out of context of a much longer 'paragraph' in his talk. I have only mentioned that part that may be of interest or use here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have simple wants. I'd be happy if Kodak would return to cutting plain old Tri-X in 2 1/4x 3 1/4.
    sigh.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the response, PE. I understand better now.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We may regret not having "pollution-free" processes as environmental concerns grow. My greatest worry about traditional chemical photography is that the chemicals will become unavailable or prohibitively expensive (for example, being declared hazardous waste.) Either the ones I use or what goes into the manufacturing processes.

Maybe I'm just being Chicken Little out of ignorance (what I know about chemistry could be printed on my forehead in poster sized type!) In any case, it was interesting to see the sorts of things a major research lab was looking into. Thanks!

Mike

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is serving a purpose as seen in AgX's post indicating other companies interest in Kodak technology if Kodak cannot use it. This may be of value to everyone, so in this regard my OP may have been of some benefit all around.
    Well, in case of misunderstanding I must say I don’t really know any such company. (It would be nice if I myself had one of those niche ideas…) But following postings on Apug and having an eye on what is going on in the photographic world, I got the impression that those wannabe niche companies are out there. But as always, it takes two to tango and it could also be that those minors/micros not even dare to knock at the majors doors to inform about such ideas PE hinted at.
    But aside from doomsday talk, this change of times in the industry is interesting and I am curious what new ideas it will bring up aside from mainstream techniques.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apparently, no one is knocking on Kodak's door.

These things I post are only the most superficial of product ideas or even trade trialed items. I could add a lot more.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, considering the remarks here today, I can just add that I cannot discuss any of these in detail in any way. And, if other companies are interested in them they should contact Kodak.

<snip>
    PE
    Are you sure that there weren't any stock analysts wearing fake glasses and moustaches at your get-together yesterday? I see EK went up 9% today on 5x the normal volume and not a buyout rumor to be found!

Ahh, if only the sort of stuff you mentioned WERE the sorts of things that would get analysts excited...all our fears would be baseless.

I appreciate your posts on these sorts of subjects, though. Analog photography has been around for perhaps 175 years and yet more useful developments might be feasible if people would just stay interested...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin