Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,189   Online: 694

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

An amusing thing happened on my way to this forum!

Today, we had the Kodak Retirees Lunch.

The speaker was Jim Weaver, current director of Kodak Research Labs.

He made an interesting comment that I think I can share here.

He said that Kodak has a considerable wealth of analog technology on the shelf which they will never be able to put into products due to the extremely rapid decline in analog photographic sales.

I think I had better stop here. I had a chance to talk to Jim for a few minutes before his talk. It was a rather interesting discussion. He is a very concerned manager working for both sides, analog and digital, but it seems that he is facing a rather huge obstacle to selling analog product improvements. It appears to me it is not Antonio Perez, it is the purchasing public.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    What is the real obstacle for releasing new products and improvements, when they are "on the shelf" already? I understand there must be cost in bringing products to the market. But the cost for inventing these improvements have been incurred already. Couldn't they just release things on a smaller scale?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    He said that Kodak has a considerable wealth of analog technology on the shelf which they will never be able to put into products due to the extremely rapid decline in analog photographic sales.
    Ron,

I suspected as much. So I have two questions.

1. Can we get an example description of some of these analog products?
    2. Are they up for sale to another company?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Petzi;

The simple answer is NO.

Lots of inventions are made that take millions to bring to market. It took about 10 years and that much money to bring out 2 electron sensitization and they are still perfecting it.

So, if the market is shrinking, they extrapolate to the 'end' and see if there is profit. If there is not, they cannot invest in it. They look for something that has more potential for profit.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    What is the real obstacle for releasing new products and improvements, when they are "on the shelf" already? I understand there must be cost in bringing products to the market. But the cost for inventing these improvements have been incurred already. Couldn't they just release things on a smaller scale?
    But that would be logical.

I would tell my girls while they were growing up that had to have good logical and well thought out reasons for doing things. Furthermore, I told them that when they became adults logical thinking would no longer be required of them.

They always got a good laugh about that.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art;

I may be able to come up with a short list, but one comes to mind. The ISO 25,000 film that Paul Gilman and others invented.

Other companies probably could not afford to invest in this either. The same shrinkage is affecting them too.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look guys, having a thing 'on the shelf' is not the same as having a product. I gave the example of 2 electron sensitization above which took over 10 years of R&D to release the first product.

I guess I made a mistake sharing this. It seems that understanding the nature of the problems involved is the real problem here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Look guys, having a thing 'on the shelf' is not the same as having a product. I gave the example of 2 electron sensitization above which took over 10 years of R&D to release the first product.

I guess I made a mistake sharing this. It seems that understanding the nature of the problems involved is the real problem here.

PE
    I understand the difference between developing technology [pun intended] and bringing the technology to markets.

Perhaps it was the choice of words. To me 'on the shelf' means ready for market as opposed to R&Dware.

Steve

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Depends on the definition of "on the shelf". If they made test coatings already, and got useful results, then they could release it with reasonable investment.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we are all going to have to understand that companies are not going to put money into products that are on the decline. We can serve our interest better by buying and using the available products and learning to adapt to a new way of thinking. We must learn to make do with what we have or invent something new ourselves. I'm going out now and make some more pictures. How about you?
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin