Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,685   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

IIlfochrome Availability

Just saw this over at Ken Rockwell's site:

"Ilford puts out a press release that Ilfochrome (Cibachrome) is going to be distributed to camera stores in the USA and Canada by Wynit. Wynit is a distributor of many brands of photo and computer products to smaller and specialty camera stores."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm
    http://www.wynit.com/

Has anyone heard about this?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Just saw this over at Ken Rockwell's site:

"Ilford puts out a press release that Ilfochrome (Cibachrome) is going to be distributed to camera stores in the USA and Canada by Wynit. Wynit is a distributor of many brands of photo and computer products to smaller and specialty camera stores."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm
    http://www.wynit.com/

Has anyone heard about this?
    Hi,
    Wynit is currently the US distributor for Ilford. That includes Ilfochrome paper and chemistry. There was quite a gap in product availability when the changeover in distribution occured, but things seem to be on track now. The ilfochrome products I have ordered recently for customers have arrived in a timely manner.
    Celac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

ILFOCHROME is made by ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH, part of the OJI paper company of Japan, the monochrome is made by ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited in the UK. Wynit are the USA and Canada distributor for both companies :

The Swiss website is www.ILFORD.com

The UK website ( Harman ) is www.Ilfordphoto.com

Regards

Simon, ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford US distributor went belly up last year. Ilford/Harmon quickly lined up Wynit to distribute its products and kept the supply lines filled. Unfortunately, Ilford Imaging Switzerland (no longer a part of the UK company) took its time and didn't sign their deal with Wynit until January, 2007. By that time the supply here had dried up and it took approx two months to refill. Much of the product sold now by the remaining dealers who sell it, sell on special order only, but it is available.

The shutdown of production during the receivership in 2005 cost them most of the labs in North America that printed Ilfochrome. The interruption in supply in 2006 had to hurt some more. Our own Bob Carnie prints Ilfochrome on Lambda, as well as offering optical printing services.

http://www.elevatordigital.ca/

I plan to continue using this stuff for as long as I can get it.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We are currently printing cibachrome and will be shutting down the machine next week. We are only printing on the Lambda for cibachrome.
    Our next run of this product will be In June.
    Unfortunately the last couple of years have not been the best for us with the Ciba line and demands for this product was low, but this last batch ran smoothly and was outstanding quality. I think the Swiss need to concentrate on the marketing of this product , because it really is beautiful.
    Fortunately for us the new Harmon RC black and white paper runs through the same machine which is a huge bonus for us.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    We are currently printing cibachrome and will be shutting down the machine next week. We are only printing on the Lambda for cibachrome.
    Our next run of this product will be In June.
    Unfortunately the last couple of years have not been the best for us with the Ciba line and demands for this product was low, but this last batch ran smoothly and was outstanding quality. I think the Swiss need to concentrate on the marketing of this product , because it really is beautiful.
    Fortunately for us the new Harmon RC black and white paper runs through the same machine which is a huge bonus for us.
    That is too bad. The Lambda and Cibachrome is a stunning combination. I was always hoping to do more in the future with that combination.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want digital cibachrome check out

hancepartners.com

if you want hand make prints check out

lab-ciba.com
    weldoncolorlab.com
    cibachrome.com

the last(cibachrome.com (Hidden Light llc)) is my lab and we are completely dedicated to traditional printing techniques.

Corey
    Last edited by boyooso; 04-28-2007 at 01:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    The Ilford US distributor went belly up last year. Ilford/Harmon quickly lined up Wynit to distribute its products and kept the supply lines filled. Unfortunately, Ilford Imaging Switzerland (no longer a part of the UK company) took its time and didn't sign their deal with Wynit until January, 2007. By that time the supply here had dried up and it took approx two months to refill. Much of the product sold now by the remaining dealers who sell it, sell on special order only, but it is available.
    Bob
    I don't know all the behind the scences, but I always attributed the recent supply problems to Ilford Imaging USA, not the Swiss Ilford.

It was Ilford USA that did not continue to keep a stock of materials to fulfill orders. In fact they made it very cost prohibitive to get certain materials I don't think Ilford Swiss with held paper or chemicals, do you?

I was very happy to hear Ilford USA was gone. Wynit is very accomidating to perviously mentioned materials. So Far(and it is a short term view) Wynit is much better than Ilford USA.

Corey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by boyooso View Post
    I don't know all the behind the scences, but I always attributed the recent supply problems to Ilford Imaging USA, not the Swiss Ilford
    Corey, you are essentially correct. Ilford USA filed bankruptcy early in 2006 and was no longer getting regular product shipments. The only problem with Swiss Ilford is they took too long to get a new distributor. Perhaps the contracts had to go to Japan for approval.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC, Ilford USA approached Ilford/Harmon in the UK about buying them to bail them out of their problems. Harmon wisely refused, as their restructured business model is to not burden themselves with trying to manage worldwide distibution arms, but utilize independent distributors that have other products and can operate more cost effectively with a greater overall volume of sales.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin