Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 833

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    In NYC they go into the trash and onto barges for shipment to whatever states accept the city's waste for landfill. For every person who bothers to recycle, I am certain that a hundred more put them in the trash.
    The recycling of compact flourescents is a problem that is easily solved by attaching a deposit fee to every single one...or better yet, a lower price for a dead lamp's replacement when it's returned to the merchant for recycling. The cost of such a system could be underwritten by a consortium of manufacturers and major resellers in the name of acquiring market share and public relations.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, that's an interesting idea. Another solution is LED-based bulbs, which are still more energy-efficient and lack the disposal problems. But they are more expensive, and Sam Walton hasn't thrown his retail weight behind them, so who knows whether their potential will ever be realized.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Good news for future of film, imo. Let someone with more efficiency (i.e. less overhead) run it for profit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    Michael, that's an interesting idea. Another solution is LED-based bulbs, which are still more energy-efficient and lack the disposal problems. But they are more expensive, and Sam Walton hasn't thrown his retail weight behind them, so who knows whether their potential will ever be realized.
    Walmart wants to own the CF market. They do a rebate for recycling program and it gets the lamps recycled AND helps them attain that goal.

Yes, they could do the same thing with LED's. I DESPISE Walmart but they can create any economy of scale they want. Such is their power.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are many communities in America where recycling is seldom used, only used for certain products, or entirely unavailable. It's a lot of cost and organization for small, rural, or poor communities to undertake. NYC can do virtually anything it wants due to infinite resources, but what about Ville Platte Louisiana? Outlawing incandescent bulbs increases the poor's cost of living, and adding a recylcing fee to to the new bulbs makes it worse. It's absolutely true that they'll save electricity, but this is a subtle change that they won't notice as much as ponying up for a single $5-6 lightbulb. It's a complicated problem. My humble 2 cents.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would assume that Kodak sold the building, the real estate, but not the coating lines? Those would be scrapped?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendel4 View Post
    There are many communities in America where recycling is seldom used, only used for certain products, or entirely unavailable. It's a lot of cost and organization for small, rural, or poor communities to undertake. NYC can do virtually anything it wants due to infinite resources, but what about Ville Platte Louisiana? Outlawing incandescent bulbs increases the poor's cost of living, and adding a recylcing fee to to the new bulbs makes it worse. It's absolutely true that they'll save electricity, but this is a subtle change that they won't notice as much as ponying up for a single $5-6 lightbulb. It's a complicated problem. My humble 2 cents.
    You can now by a pack of 6 lamps that replace 60 watt bulbs for about $10. The price will continue to drop. I would expect to see them below a buck a lamp before long.

Small town Amreica shops at Walmart. If Walmart/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/etc. sells replacement packs at a discounted rate when you bring in your old lamps, your concerns can be addressed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry for the thread hijack. This should be in the lounge, not this thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    After Kodak closed its French coating plant in around 2005, a lot of the consumer colour print film coming into the UK was made in Kodak's factory in China. But just recently the "free" Kodak films I received with some processed films and prints was labelled as made in USA and finished in Mexico. So I wonder where Kodak films for the Chinese market will come from. It seems rather stange if they are stopping film production in China because the labour costs there are probably cheaper than in any of the other places they have manufacturing facilties.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would theorize that Kodak needs to keep is primary coating plant operating at near capacity to maximize quality and profit, therefore dividing up film coating between plants in this age of dwindling film sales is unpractical. China will get film coated in USA and finished in Mexico.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin