Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,668   Posts: 1,481,749   Online: 881

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The news article has little detail on what's going to happen there, naturally we'd like somebody to keep the coating line going no matter the brand. With the usual Chinese government incentives to hire people and a cheaper corporate bureaucracy the break-even point could be a lot lower than under Kodak control.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

that waste issue

Here in Germany we are mad about assorting & recycling which makes us have many, many heaps at home… (just counted 11…)

Untill recently at my place that FL issue was cared for by the community as well as the county. One could wait for the biannual `special waste´ truck to visit the community (which costs were included within the local yearly waste deposit fee) bring it to a central county special waste collecting centre or go to an electrical store and pay about 50cents per tube for delivering it.
    Now there is a federal regulation that all electrical/electronic goods have to be deposited seperately and that the very industry has to pay for it. Now there is at least one collecting point per community, where one can drop (or rather not…) the FL tube in a metal casket.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which plant are we actually talking about??

To my understanding Kodak bought at least three chinese film manufacturing companies (Era, Aermei, Fuda) besides their cooperation with Lucky.

The plant in question should be the Fuda Photographic Materials Company.

I don’t see any substantial change due to this sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I saw how the German system works at Photokina a couple of years ago, different colour bins for different types of rubbish, and every onwe so careful to put things in the correct one.

So you can imagine my amazement to see them all emptied into the same large refuse bags and mixed together:rolleyes:

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Here in Germany we are mad about assorting & recycling which makes us have many, many heaps at home… (just counted 11…)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Which plant are we actually talking about??

To my understanding Kodak bought at least three chinese film manufacturing companies (Era, Aermei, Fuda) besides their cooperation with Lucky.

The plant in question should be the Fuda Photographic Materials Company.

I don’t see any substantial change due to this sale.
    The plant in question, as I noted, was not one purchased from anyone. It was built from scratch.

Film will indeed be made in the US or England.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    It doesn't really make sense for Kodak to sell their plant in China and move their facility to the US or UK. Isn't it much cheaper to maintain and hire help for factories outside of developed countries?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The plant in question, as I noted, was not one purchased from anyone. It was built from scratch.

Film will indeed be made in the US or England.
    Dear PE,

As the Reuters article linked at in this thread referred to a Xiamen plant I thought of Fuda. Actually I do not really understand what is going on in the Chinese photographic industry in the sense what plant produces what on whose behalf… Last year I did an extensive search on the net which did not bring up a lot (that new plant even slipped trough the netting). My Lucky folders from the early nineties seem more informative…
    You seem to have some insight on this. Any information is welcome.
    One press article I found called the aquiring of Fuda, Kodaks entry into local production. (Which could mean take over of lokal products, but could also mean the start of producing original Kodak products locally.)

If this sale should be substantial, what about the other Chinese plants Kodak aquired? And will Lucky become selfsustained again? Or is this just about the Chinese production of film for the western market and the production for the Chinese home market will stay unaffected?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know little of the Chinese plant. I know a friend learned Chinese in preparation to go there, but he never did. I also know that the project was worked on by two people who were managers in research.

The plant was stated as being the newest and most modern plant built in nearly 30 years (probably meant in China) to meet Kodak needs.

That is it and I got that last paragraph from the paper.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    It doesn't really make sense for Kodak to sell their plant in China and move their facility to the US or UK. Isn't it much cheaper to maintain and hire help for factories outside of developed countries?
    China is a nation of 1.3 billion people but much of the industrial base is concentrated in the South-Southeast and there they are facing acute labor shortages. The government has recently announced an initiative that will (they hope) result in the eventual relocation of about 300 million people to expand that labor force and expand the region in which industrial activities are conducted - but one wonders if there's really a need for additional film production facilities.

China can't really be considered an undeveloped country any more and labor costs within the country are rising rapidly.

I believe the EK facilities that PhotoEngineer mentioned in the USA/UK are existing ones. From what I understand EK did move some color film production back to the USA from China in 2005/2006.

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    The recycling of compact flourescents is a problem that is easily solved by attaching a deposit fee to every single one...or better yet, a lower price for a dead lamp's replacement when it's returned to the merchant for recycling. The cost of such a system could be underwritten by a consortium of manufacturers and major resellers in the name of acquiring market share and public relations.
    Well they could have done that with mercury batteries too, instead we are left with crappy batteries. My house is electrically heated, I don't like fluorescent light so I will stockpile bulbs. I wonder what they are going to light streets with.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin