Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,913   Online: 1060

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are so many special uses for tungsten bulbs....for example..mood lighting (dimmable), Theatrical lighting, Spot lighting (such as track lights), Automobile lights (millions of units still needed), Projector lamps, Enlarger lamps.medical imaging.I could go on and on. The fact is that about the only thing the flourescent lights are good for is common room lighting. Any legislative body that can seek to eliminate tungsten filament bulbs (including quartz bulbs) is walking down a very difficult path. The technology is just not in place to completely replace the filament type bulb in all applications.

Shooter
    35mm
    I get Chinese-made Kodak Gold films all the time (not by a choice but I guess the Japanese market is set in such a way...) and I don't mind where it's made as long as I can get them!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi all !
    At the time Kodak closed the French plant, I heard a French union representative saying that with the decline in film sale, Kodak will close all plants; one after the other but none in the USA. USA worker will be the last to be fired.
    This may be one step of this plan ? It seems that there is some truth in this statement, as all Kodak film I get now is labeled "Made In USA". Before I got film made in USA and finished in France or Great Britain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    I wonder what they are going to light streets with.
    They're using sodium vapor lamps now. Used to be mercury vapor. Before that, flourescent. Before that, incandescent.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

incandescent lamps

I get the impression that many of those people uttering the proposal for such a ban have no idea of lighting technologies.
    The last twenty years there was a craze about home lighting with small halogen bulbs. Besides the obvious advantage of being able to use smaller fittings and to direct the stream of light more easily, their greater electrical efficiency was put forward. Though nobody spoke about those losses in cables and (especially magnetic) transformers…
    Now, nobody speaks about the need of having to exchange many, many fittings. CFLs, fittings, etc. are products the industry, even in the long run, will have higher margins on than on those standard bulbs.
    I’m more or less daily confronted with some sort of urge to save energy on lighting, but the same time I encounter here a drastic! increase in landscape lighting due to small scale industries floodlighting their compounds and buildings. I drive a lot at night time and it is really hard to encounter real darkness any more. Driving into some smaller cities makes one think of entering Las Vegas. The overall consumption percentage of such a flooding may still be small but it gives wrong directives.
    I don’t think that a legal regulation on incandescent lighting would necessarily be a bad thing, but I really miss a common thinking on this energy saving issue.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak UK

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Film will indeed be made in the US or England.
    Looking at China I did not see the European aspect in that.
    To my understanding Kodak has ceased coating of camera films in the UK. There are only coated graphic films at the Harrow plant at the moment.
    Did you consider a future re-start of coating camera films in the UK?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Kodak make their colour paper at the UK plant and possibly it still has the equipment there for film manufacture. Whether they actually plan to make film there I don't know. I would have thought the labour costs (which seem to govern everything now) would be cheaper in Mexico.

As far as the Chinese film manufacturer Era is concerned, I don't think they were one of those taken over by Kodak. Era seem to be still going and have a website with their products listed which includes black & white film in 35mm & sheet sizes.

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    Hi all !
    ...Kodak will close all plants; one after the other but none in the USA. USA worker will be the last to be fired.
    USA companies have no problem with closing USA plants and laying
    off USA workers. Trust me on that - I have direct recent experience.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    Era seem to be still going and have a website with their products listed which includes black & white film in 35mm & sheet sizes.
    As indicated in this thread I once did an extensive search on the net concerning Chinese film manufacturers. No detailed information on that (late?) ERA company turned out.
    If someone knows an original ERA site, please give me a hint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=AgX;464429]Now, nobody speaks about the need of having to exchange many, many fittings. CFLs, fittings, etc. are products the industry, even in the long run, will have higher margins on than on those standard bulbs... [QUOTE]

Oh... In Europe there is plan that up to some year (2012 or 2018 or 2020, I don't know precisely), all TV broadcasting will be digital. Nobody will ask you can you afford or do you want in first place digital TV receiver. If you want TV programmes, you will have to have digital TV. Same with lighting. If you want light, change fittings for available bulbs, nobody will ask you do you want new bulbs (or new fittings for them) or not. manufacturers and governments will force you to do that.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin