Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,409   Online: 1089

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So 1% of a billion buying maybe a couple rolls of film each year . . . still sounds like 20 million rolls of film or so. Is that such a bad thing?

I saw the Dwaynes figures of 1000 rolls of Kodachrome a day. Depending upon the Kodak profit margin, that still sounds like several million in revenue.

I realize that the past billions was quite attractive for profits. However, would a company really give up on millions in profits? This to me is the reality check. Obviously, at whatever point there is no profit, I do not see sustaining a production, just to break even, nor to keep workers employed; that situation would prompt a shutdown and charge for downsizing.

Consider what Polaroid films are still being made. I doubt that the production level is showing profits in the billions, but quite likely profits in the millions. Again probably obvious that Polaroid films are not easy to buy, compared to other films, but they are still available. Even Fuji see some value in providing products for what must be a really small (percentage) market.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Jana,

Yes I was, amongst others I was visiting our distributor in China and some educational establishments and photo opinion leaders as well , our products are on sale and sales are growing well, but obviously you have low cost indigenous producers. As you say photography is growing fast in China, as always our key interest is in the small but significant amount of users who use monochrome and to ensure they can access our products and know all about them.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Jana;

I never said that the model was right, especially about B&W.

PE
    Dear Ron,

it's ok !

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Jana,

Yes I was, amongst others I was visiting our distributor in China and some educational establishments and photo opinion leaders as well , our products are on sale and sales are growing well, but obviously you have low cost indigenous producers. As you say photography is growing fast in China, as always our key interest is in the small but significant amount of users who use monochrome and to ensure they can access our products and know all about them.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Dear Simon,

thank you for your answer! Nice to hear that the Ilford sales numbers in China are increasing.
    Certainly the competition with the low cost films from Lucky and Era is hard. But I think over the years with the growing income of Chinese photographers more photographers can afford quality. And that's the chance for Ilford with your high quality products, which are far superior to Lucky + Co..
    I think it is the best decision to go right now, as early as possible to the emerging markets, make your name and your products well-known to new photographers and, very important, support educational establishments. Capacity building for good education of film photographers will be a key element for the future of the film based photography. Attracting photographers, especially those who started directly with digital, by the fascination of the genesis of a photo in the developer, or the unique charakteristics of a slide...
    The support of education, training courses etc., in the established as well as in the emerging markets, is much more important than ever in the current digital era. Thats the challenge for both film manufacturers and film distributors. An essential element of an effective marketing strategy.

Simon, I hope your business trip to Asia was succesful. I wish you good luck for your engagement in these growing markets! I've been using Ilford films for about 20 years and intend to do so in the future.

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an interesting article - http://english.people.com.cn/200608/...23_295981.html Seems the Chinese are up to their "usual" business practices.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    However, would a company really give up on millions in profits?
    Executive management at many companies have done crazy things. Kodak management is no different.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more thing - seems like Lucky's a good stock buy - http://investing.businessweek.com/re...?capId=5773535

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some images here of the inside of the "Second Factory of the Lucky Film Group" - http://www.hgfilm.com.cn/default.htm

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Some images here of the inside of the "Second Factory of the Lucky Film Group" - http://www.hgfilm.com.cn/default.htm

Regards, Art.
    Art;

These photos resemble the Kodak plant to some extent.

PE

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin