Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,350   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak announces sale of China plant

In the Rochester D&C today:

Kodak announed the sale of the plant in China. It was constructed in 1990 and was the newest coating facility built in about 30 years.

A small part of the plant will be retained by Kodak for manufacture of digital products including ink cartridges.

In another report, the NYS Assembly is debating making the sale of tungsten lights illegal.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who bought it? Do they intend to keep coating?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was sold to a local Chinese development corporation. The entire article is probably on-line now Nick.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

In another report, the NYS Assembly is debating making the sale of tungsten lights illegal.

PE
    Perhaps - but the NYS legislature is completely disfunctional and hasn't created any significant new policy for the state in decades. Don't hold your breath.

Interestingly, I have made a commitment to compact fluorescents in high-consumption applications in our home because it makes financial sense. I've replaced most of the commonly used incandescents, but have been unable to find CFL replacements for a couple of critical applications. There's no point in outlawing current technology until a replacement has been found.

Of course that challenges my own argument - it would be perfectly in keeping with their tradition of incompetence for the NYS legislature to create an impractical and unenforcable law.
    Last edited by Monophoto; 05-03-2007 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tungsten light issue is an interesting one. It's intended to push people to use compact fluorescent bulbs. But they have mercury in them, that will cause problems in time as people throw them away. As usual, we reel from problem to problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use mostly fluorescents and have several local options for recycling, in which case the mercury is reclaimed and not put into landfill.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44

From the sound of that it seems Kodak just got itself into a lease back type sale. They've sold it but are renting it back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick;

They are just keeping a small portion of the plant.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good change. Perhaps a small move away from offshoring labor. Does this affect the Lucky Film arrangement at all?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I use mostly fluorescents and have several local options for recycling, in which case the mercury is reclaimed and not put into landfill.

Lee
    In NYC they go into the trash and onto barges for shipment to whatever states accept the city's waste for landfill. For every person who bothers to recycle, I am certain that a hundred more put them in the trash.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin