Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,242   Online: 818

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak quarterly report

The trend is still downward in Kodak overall sales and profit, digital and analog.

The interesting news was that the downward trend in film sales seems to have slowed just a bit due to an increase in sales of motion picture film products.

This is from the Rochester D&C today.

PE

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE:

Thanks for that update.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recently saw a video clip from the supposed "motion picture film killer" camera called "Red One", it has many in the industry giddy. The clip was videoed by Peter Jackson and I thought it looked terrible. Sure it was quite sharp but it had that digital look that I have trouble describing, sort of compressed unnatural like many of the dslr shots I see. I also found it interfered with my eyes ability to focus which made it difficult to watch. However everyone is raving about it. Oh well..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Work is still going forward on a new generation of motion picture films AFAIK. I guess Kodak still has faith in it having a life and profitability long enough to do more R&D.

This will trickle down eventually to Portra and Gold and then B&W if justified.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I recently saw a video clip from the supposed "motion picture film killer" camera called "Red One", it has many in the industry giddy. The clip was videoed by Peter Jackson and I thought it looked terrible. Sure it was quite sharp but it had that digital look that I have trouble describing, sort of compressed unnatural like many of the dslr shots I see. I also found it interfered with my eyes ability to focus which made it difficult to watch. However everyone is raving about it. Oh well..
    There are Quicktimes of this scattered around on the web. Having viewed one, I quite agree with your assessment. Sharp, yes, but "disingenous".

As has been the case with a lot of cinematic technologies over the past 115 years, however, I bet it will be the financiers and not the artists who determine whether it's adopted or not

P. Jackson has always been at the forefront of the techno-idiocy uptake (witness the "King Kong" CGI-bloatfest) and it does not suprise me he would be an early adopter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CGI has really plateaued. I think King Kong and the Spiderman films barely look better than Pixar offerings in terms of realism, with a higher threshhold for the willing suspension of disbelief.

I was embarrassed for Toby Maguire when he appeared on Letterman last week. They aired a clip in which his CGI double appears but not the actor. Sheesh.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin