Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,988   Online: 842

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ektalure G?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ektalure G?

Alright, so here's my situation. I've never printed on the stuff but heard very good things about it. I've been given the opportunity to purchase a huge amount of the stuff...in the thousands of sheets...in sizes 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20...at below cost. It is from, AFAIK, what was the last batch of the stuff to be shipped, circa the end of 2000. It's been well kept. So my question is, should I stockpile it?

Now I know there are a couple generic answers out there. One being, try it, and stock up if I really like it. Another being, don't waste your time with old papers, there are great ones out now...ad nauseum.

So if anyone has any strong opinions on this, or wants some of the paper, I'd appreciate any responses.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektalure G was a great paper.

But I would advise testing it first to see if it is fogged.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I'm gonna pick up an 8x10 pack and test it for fogging first. But AFAIK it's still good.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree
    If you decide not to purchase could you pm me the contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Ektalure G was a great paper.

But I would advise testing it first to see if it is fogged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    Now I know there are a couple generic answers out there. One being, try it, and stock up if I really like it. Another being, don't waste your time with old papers, there are great ones out now...ad nauseum.
    There are indeed some great ones out there, but there's nothing like Ektalure G out there. It's beautiful paper. If you like warm tones, I'd sure try it.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

I'd love some also. I still have two boxes of 8x10 in my freezer. There is nothing else like it.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    I would be interested depending on the fog level. A local commercial shooter gave the school where I run the darkroom a 10-sheet pack of 11x14 which was fogged to around 0.15du, and between some KBr added to the developer and a little cutting bleach between first and second fix, I was able to get a print I liked. Unfortunately, there are only five sheets remaining. I think some of the longevity comes from the paper not having developer incorporated. Portriga from the same shop was useless, and I just returned a box of Polymax FA which was similarly useless.
    Last edited by cao; 05-24-2007 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Noted on DI vs non-DI. Ugly sentence!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If you do lith printing, a slight fog may not be that problematic as it is normal proceedure in my darkroom to flash the whole paper before main exposure.
    I have not tried this paper for lith but I would immediately try this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ektalure G was my favorite paper. When Kodak dropped Ektalure, I dropped Kodak.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have several boxes from 2000 and FB paper tends to be good for years with no probs. BTW, Forte Polywarmtone semimatt is the closest match that I know of (too bad that's gone as well). I'd buy it quicker than a ferret up a trouser leg!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin