Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,699   Online: 1217

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

In Toronto, Agfa is gone

In Toronto Canada, APX Agfa films are gone for ever and ever. Such a good films... Those that used them knows why I posted this. I have around 60 rolls of 35mm to last for next 5-7 years.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's interesting but.... drum roll.... Why? It's too cryptic for the mass crowd to understand, and what does it mean to the rest of us. Give an explanation or you view if you will.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...imageField.y=0

or in the US:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Henry's is in Toronto, and still list a few varieties of APX. Unless of course Daniel means he bought out what they had left to get his multi year supply.

If it ever does completely run out in a specific city, then mailorder or internet order is the next choice. Outside of that Rollei Retro 100 and Retro 400 are repackaged APX.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This means then that Daniel brought up the last of the Agfa film to keep it from the hoarders! Now the hoarders will just have to suffer like the rest of us.

Good work Daniel, I did the same thing with the 120 rolls of UC 400.

We must keep hoarders out of business!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    We must keep hoarders out of business!

Does that not require hoarding to do?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt
    That's interesting but.... drum roll.... Why? It's too cryptic for the mass crowd to understand, and what does it mean to the rest of us. Give an explanation or you view if you will.

After demise of Agfa, Toronto got a lot of (probably) last batch of APX 100 and 400. I got two rolls to try and was surprised how good is APX100. So what is (was) good?

Density-exposure curve was less curved than other films I use from ilford, which gives more details in shades because of lower slope of the curve in shaded area, especially important for high quality lenses for 35 and 67 format, and high acutance developers. For portrait work, colors reproduction were just better than D100, black and caucasian skin is darker, lips (red) darker, just when use light blue filter with D100…. Highlights on hears were very nice because of crisp grain which also do not make every hear to be visible. Separation between colors on Gretag patch was very good,… Grain is surprisingly small and uniform (dev in Rodinal 1:50) but very crisp on prints, which I like too, especially in blurred area (areas not in focus) which add drama and story and to parts without details and so connects just all parts of a photograph into one whole. This works and even with smiling face... The only problem, if problem at all, is that nor under 6 bricks the film will not get flat.

After try with APX100 I got some APX400 and found that density-exposure curve is just plane straight line from –3 up to +3.5. Unbelievable, but nearly no knee in shade, and story from APX100 apply and here.

I got some stock of APX100 and 400. But 400 film cannot be stored for long even 7 ft under. Just when decided to get some more APX figured out they GONE for ever.

So that is we lost for ever. I beleive that some, like Henrys, still list the films on internet, just because they do not update it daily. I visited the stores these days and no APX in stock, as the girl student after search around said. Rolley might be deliver it but they are no more in production so expiration date can matter.

Again, guys that used and knows qualities of the APX films know very well what I talk about. And this is my last comment on these films, live long ilford.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, I'm a little curious on what expiration date you have on your APX100. I got some through B&H in New York City a few months ago, and all mine have an expiration date of 11/2010. So I have at least three years before this expires, though on a practical basis I can still use this even three more years later.

I seem to recall something about the Rollei Retro batches being good until 2012. Seriously, anything three to five years out seems fairly good. Hopefully by that time the resurrected products mentioned in another thread will be out.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HerrBremerhaven

what expiration date you have on your APX100. I got some through B&H in New York City a few months ago, and all mine have an expiration date of 11/2010. So I have at least three years before this expires, though on a practical basis I can still use this even three more years later.

I seem to recall something about the Rollei Retro batches being good until 2012

exparation date I have is 10 or 11/2010. If you freeze the same it can be good until (around) 2020. However cosmic rays will take care for high sensitivity as 400 iso is so I just do not beleive in freezing that one.

Rollei films, as someone said above is APX Agfa, so just wonder how they extended exparation date for the film is not in production. Might be they freeze it too, but it is not for free.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I am not too interested in APX400; never really liked it better than TriX nor HP5+, nor even TMax400. My understanding with Rollei is that they got a slightly later run, though I am not super positive on the exact expiration dates. However, even it they were only until the end of 2010, that would be fine for my uses.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Does that not require hoarding to do?
    No. Not exactly. But kinda sorta.

It is more like growing self-eating watermelons.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin