Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,978   Online: 886

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax buys.......

Today on CNN I saw a statement that "Pentax buys Hoya for $864 million."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hoya was buying Pentax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish, but it`s the other way `round, Hoya bought Pentax...
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the story:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...sQM&refer=asia

I wonder what this will do to the future of the Pentax 645 and Pentax 67. I think I read somewhere that Pentax had scrubbed the expected d*****l back for the 645.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in Europe Pentax has stopped selling the 645 because of environmental regulations. Too much solder or something silly.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I guess I will have to have my eyes checked out or stop my early drinking!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz View Post
    Here in Europe Pentax has stopped selling the 645 because of environmental regulations. Too much solder or something silly.

Hans
    As I understood it, the problem had to do with ROHS (Reduction Of Hazardous Substances) and there being lead incorporated in the soldering and lead tinning process for the camera's circuit boards. In some cases, the boards can be redesigned to eliminate the lead but it was either too expensive relative to expected sales or impossible due to lack of alternate components. Or both.

Should have been exempted, nobody throws away a camera! They just circulate on eBay!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure that this purchase of Pentax will be good for it or not. My friend convinced my that Pentax makes some great equipment and lenses. I would hate to see this buyout work against them.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin