Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,483   Online: 849

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Kentmere Chemicals

Hi,
    I just seen on Freestyle, Kentmere chemicals. They have some liquid fix, dev, HCA, stop. They even mention direct replacements for Kodak chemicals.
    Intresting....

Jennifer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. I wonder if it will show up on Canadian store shelves.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The funny thing is that one of their product is Kentmere Rapid Selenium Toner. In other words, KRST. Good thing we won't need to edit our language in the future...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The product descriptions actually state "Kentmere black & white processing chemicals have been developed with the same or similar formulations as Kodak chemicals for less!" Sounds good to me.

I'm going to take a look at thier Brown Toner and KRST. I like thier paper and I'd rather support them than Kodak at this point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think all the companies over time have made versions of D-72,D-76 and all the other popular Kodak formulas. Most of the Kodak formulas were standards.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Judging by the descriptions, these are eerily similar to Kodak chemicals. I wonder if maybe Kodak chemicals are made by a third party, and Freestyle has struck a deal with that manufacturer to private-label the products. They're not even listed on the Kentmere site, so it seems the mind behind this is Freestyle.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psvensson View Post
    Judging by the descriptions, these are eerily similar to Kodak chemicals. I wonder if maybe Kodak chemicals are made by a third party, and Freestyle has struck a deal with that manufacturer to private-label the products. They're not even listed on the Kentmere site, so it seems the mind behind this is Freestyle.
    Indeed you may be correct, as Kodak (some time back) sold its chemical production plant to another photo chemical manufacturer, and now they make all of Kodak's chemistry for them., so it would be a logical assumption to think that they could make almost identical chemicals under private label for others, particularly if the patents had expired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hi,
    I just seen on Freestyle, Kentmere chemicals. They have some liquid fix, dev, HCA, stop. They even mention direct replacements for Kodak chemicals.
    Intresting....
    Jennifer
    Hi Jennifer:
    I just checked Freestyle's web site and the MSD sheets for the various "Kentmere" photo chemicals. They are manufactured here in the U.S.A. by Photo Systems, Inc. Photo Systems? Who are they? Can you say "Unicolor"?
    Only speculation here, but Freestyle and Kentmere may have an agreement and the chemicals are mfg. here, marketed as Kentmere brand, ripping off and undercutting Kodak.

Cordially, Howard Tanger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kiku View Post
    ripping off and undercutting Kodak.

Cordially, Howard Tanger
    How can manufacturing and marketing Photo-chemicals be "ripping off Kodak" ?

All manufacturers make similar products, D76 - ID-11 and an equivalent from scores of others, HC110 - Ilfotech HC, Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner - Harman Selenium Toner, the list is endless particularly when it comes to developers, & fixers.

Ian

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "ripping off Kodak"

It's pretty much like the endless chains of accusations in the computer industry -

If I remember correctly it went something like this - M$ft ripped off Apple. But Apple ripped off another research lab, but they had ripped off DARPA, who....

Please don't correct me if I have the particular details wrong - I have no intent to make this a this computer vs that computer thread, the point is that many of the processes and technologies that culminated in the toners, developers etc. we use today, got started in a million independent darkrooms and then were elaborated and perfected and made marketable, often by the several major players - Kodak, Agfa, Ilford, Fuji, or by one of the dozens of second tier platers like DuPont, Edwal, GAF......

Point is that Kodak entered the business after many basic concepts were already in use, so they and the rest have been the shared beneficiaries of toning, developers, fixation etc... I note that not to belittle the huge improvements Kodak made to the industry and science, but to say it's hard to "rip off" concepts like toning.

Best,

C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin